17

When Rue woke up, her sister and niece had already left. She jumped up with panic as she read the time on her phone; she was late for work. She might have hated the job, but in the meantime, it paid her, and she couldn't afford to lose it.

She sat and cleared her throat, then called her supervisor, pretending to be sick and asking for a day off. She would lose her day's pay, but she was confident she would find a way to compensate for it.

She decided to clean up, but before doing so, like a ritual, she walked to her window and opened her sheers. Mr. Fox's windows were shut, probably sleeping in. Last night, as she spoke to her sister, she had come to a conclusion. She would talk to Tony and find a way to let him down easily. She didn't want to hurt him by leading him on. Since Mr. Fox had kissed her back, she felt there was hope to winning him; all she had to do was try harder, and they would be together. She smiled as she hacked a plan.

"I am glad you are still here, the woman who wants to buy this house is coming. I could use your bargaining skills," her mother said as soon as Rue walked into the kitchen. It was less appealing than usual.

"Is Zoe around?" she asked.

"She took Ally to the Kings'," her mother replied.

"She should be at school," Rue reminded her mother for the millionth time.

"It is her life, Rue," her mother replied.

She took a sachet of instant coffee and boiled some water with the kettle. Their coffee machine was broken, and she knew she was the one to replace it; otherwise, no one would. She mixed the two as she watched her mother.

"Did you ever love dad?" she asked.

"What an inappropriate question to ask your mother," her mother rebuked her with disdain.

She shook her head, choosing not to take her mother's words to heart. "I think I love a man," she said, even though these weren't the kind of conversations she had with her.

Her mother turned to her with a surprised look. "And?" she seemed disinterested, killing any joy that was left in Rue.

There was a knock on the door, and her mother went to open it. Rue walked to the living room where she met the woman who had earlier come to make an offer on their house. The woman greeted Rue with an open smile.

"Have you made a decision?" she asked her mother.

"I have, but that amount is not worth this house," Rue's mother spoke, greed taking over.

"Why are you so determined to buy this specific house?" Rue asked the woman.

"I have my reasons," the woman replied.

Rue decided not to ask more questions and listened to her mother talk to the woman. She was still against the selling of the house, but at an early age, she learned never to get involved with her parents' affairs, no matter how big they were, because they would always gang up on her.

After Rue quoted the average price of houses around, the woman listened, noting down. She seemed determined to pay any price for their house, and that only raised suspicion with Rue.

"Whatever the price, you have my number," the woman said as she announced her departure.

"I will walk you," Rue offered.

"Who are you, really?" Rue asked the woman.

"Like I introduced myself, I am Pauline Owens."

She shook her head. "I mean, who are you really? Why do you badly want this wreck of a house?"

"Have you ever wanted something so badly, Rue?"

Rue glanced at the Fox residence, nodding absentmindedly.

"Then you understand that you have to do anything to have it," Pauline said.

Rue knew that she had to do just that to have Mr. Fox. She knew that since she stopped babysitting. Over the weekend, Mr. Fox took the twins to his sister, and Xana was probably at her boyfriend's house.

She had a key to Fox's residence. She let herself in and wore a slinky black robe. It was too thin that it seemed like a second skin. She laid flat on his bed. She had thought of all the ways she could seduce Mr. Fox, and in the end, she could only conclude it would lead to sex. Those dinners, walks, compliments were always intended for one thing, and she thought, why not jump to where it ends.

All she could hope for was that he would be alone when he returned.

She patiently waited, even though at some point she almost fell asleep. Her heartbeat quickened when she heard loud footsteps approaching.

She shut her eyes nervously, and when she opened them, Mr. Fox was staring at her, surprised.

"Welcome... home," she said, looking at him hopefully.

"Rue!" Mr. Fox complained, "What is this?"

"I thought we could finish what we started last night," she winked at him.

He sighed and walked to the middle of his bedroom. "Get some clothes on," he flushed angrily, but Rue didn't care.

"No." Rue said, adamant.

"What...?" His mouth dropped, hopeful at her defiance.

"I am a wanton in need, and you have just got to do something about it!"

Mr. Fox was still staring at her in disbelief.

"You are getting out of hand," he said, marching to her.

Rue smiled, seeing him in action, even if it was out of anger. He pulled her up from the bed, and she jumped on him, both falling on the bed. She was quick to wrap her legs around him.

They both remained silent, staring at each other.

"This is what you have been asking for?" Mr. Fox asked, his voice coarse.

She nodded, fear sipping in that she might be getting what she always wanted.

"And I am going to give you just that," he threatened.

And Rue swallowed a lump, afraid of what he was about to give her.