Chapter 44 - First Snow

The next morning, Xu Bai Chuan followed Xu Yuanshan and his teammates to climb the mountain in order to avoid Tang Jin. After setting off at 6 a.m., they arrived at the foot of Wuling Mountain at 8:30 a.m. and began climbing upwards.

Sunny and clear skies were in view at the outset, but it suddenly took a turn and became overcast. Xu Yuanshan, who was unreconciled about not climbing to the summit, said over and over again that he already checked that it wouldn’t rain nor snow today, but for the sake of their safety and under Xu Bai Chuan’s insistence, he reluctantly headed down.

After hiking for half an hour, the sky, which seemed to be splashed by ink, became pitch-black. Not long afterward, snow and rain fell together. It was actually time for B city’s first snow.

They stood in place for a while but didn’t know when the sleet would halt. Very soon, their cotton clothes were soaked by the rain, and the freezing winds made them shudder. Since descending the mountain at their regular pace was no longer an option, they could only shuffle down little by little.

Going up was easy while going down was hard. With the sleet permeating, the ground became muddy and slippery. Xu Yuanshan’s foot stepped on a protruding rock and his body abruptly plunged downwards!

Thrown into disarray, Xu Bai Chuan didn’t even think as he ran forward, directly grabbed onto Xu Yuanshan’s hand and forcefully pulled back. Xu Yuanshan was thrown onto the steady ground, but Xu Bai Chuan, who was too rushed, slipped and tumbled down the incline.

Xu Yuanshan and his teammates’ panicked cries could be heard one after another, but Xu Bai Chuan could only hear blurred voices because his world was already flooded with the sound of his heartbeat that was almost jumping out his chest, and the scraping of dead branches. He struggled to grab onto anything he could, and at last, he hooked onto a tree trunk of a small tree, but his hand, due to the large downward force of his weight, slid downward and endured sharp pain. Just when his life was hanging on a thread and he was about to let go, a strength came out of nowhere. His other hand flung upwards, grabbing onto the trunk as well. Exerting both his hands, he eventually stopped sliding downwards.

His gasping, the pumping of his heart, and the slight shaking of the tree against the ground deafened his ears. Only after calming himself down for a long time did Xu Bai Chuan hear the sobs coming from above: “Ge!!!!!”

Xu Bai Chuan climbed up a little, wedging his body between the incline and the tree trunk. He shouted at the top of his lungs, “I’m fine!!!”

Xu Yunshan immediately rejoiced. “Ge! Where are you! I’ll go down and rescue you!!!”

Rescue my ass. One person slid down and he was just clinging on, if two slid down, both will fall to their doom! Let’s not make things worse.

This kid Xu Yuanshan sure was simple-minded. Living with Xu Bai Chuan for three years, the relationship between the two of them was even better than that of Xu Yuanshan and Xu Yunhai. Afraid that he was really going to come down, Xu Bai Chuan hurriedly shouted, “Don’t move! Stay right where you are and call the police!”

But the signal had been bad ever since they arrived at the mountain. Moreover, the falling sleet made it impossible to dial people. After a quiet exchange with his friends, Xu Yuanshan looked in all directions, snapped off a branch to use as a cane, and walked down.

Both rain and snow were unending, and it grew colder and colder. Xu Bai Chuan’s hands hugging onto the tree were already frozen stiff. The instant he realized no voices came from above, he shouted, “Xu Yuanshan!!!”

Shortly afterward, a reply came from above. It was the voice of that teammate: “Xu Ge! There’s no reception on the mountain, Yuanshan went down to look for help!”