Chapter 37 - Fish and Net

Xu Bai Chuan couldn't fathom Tang Jin's abrupt change in mood. Even forgetting about his phone, he repeatedly used his strength to try free himself. Yet he suddenly felt something hot dripping on his neck that quickly cooled down.

The last time he saw Tang Jin cry was when both of them unflinchingly kneeled in front of Mr. Tang and Madam Tang and came out of the closet together. At the time, Tang Jin kneeled with his back perfectly straight and reddened eyes as Tang Jin's parents said all kinds of vicious words to make them sever their relationship.

Tang Jin was beaten on that day, but as the ones hitting him were his biological parents, they couldn't possibly beat him until he dies. Afterward, when Xu Bai Chuan supported him out of the old Tang residence, he saw Xu Bai Chuan look at him, so he bellowed, "What's there to see? Have you never seen someone cry before?"

This time was different from back then. As if the skeleton supporting his shoulders and back have collapsed, the haughtiness and arrogance washed away and faded cleanly into the air. He kept on repeating, "Sorry..."

Xu Bai Chuan's brows quivered. The truth was that he doesn't want to like Tang Jin, but if emotions could be easily dealt with like rationality was, there won't be so many resentful lovesick men in this world. Up to this moment, he still liked Tang Jin, and Tang Jin was taking advantage of his reluctance to part which will throw both of them into the ditch.

If he followed Tang Jin's wishes this time and returned to how they were before, they will inevitably separate again next time because of the same reasons. Their conflict will become more and more intense, and the sparks will grow bigger and bigger. In the end, they will burn up the beauty in both their hearts and torment each other.

Xu Bai Chuan sighed. "Tang Jin, when are you going to listen to me?"

As Tang Jin's body stiffened, those cold indifferent words floated in his mind one after another. Both of his shackled arms suddenly loosened and he immediately stepped back as if he had encountered a dangerous spider, being at a loss about where to place his hands. Spying at Xu Bai Chuan's expression, he said with difficulty, "Sorry."

This was the first time Xu Bai Chuan saw the appearance of Tang Jin wanting to approach him but not daring to. What a pity that it was all a lie.

Tang Jin is a person who doesn't shed a tear until he sees the coffin ¹, doesn't stop until he reaches the Yellow River², and never turns back until he knocks against a wall...in short, he has an unshakeable determination that insists on seeing the bloody truth.
[T/N: 1 Remains unconvinced until he sees the grim reality; 2 Perseveres until he reaches his goal. Basically, he's as stubborn as a mule.]

Xu Bai Chuan felt rather regretful. He didn't want it to come to this.

He raised an eyebrow. "You want to reconcile with me?"

Tang Jin heard the change in Xu Bai Chuan's voice and like a dead tree branch coming back to life, he became lively in an instant. Taking a step forward, he wanted to embrace Xu Bai Chuan. Although silent, he used his actions to show his feelings.

Blocking his hand, Xu Bai Chuan smiled. "It's not impossible to reconcile with me." Not waiting for Tang Jin's taut mouth to ease, Xu Bai Chuan diverted from the main topic. "I was the one who pestered you in the past. No matter what you do to me, it serves me right."

"Now things are the other way around." Xu Bai Chuan said, "I also don't want to make things difficult for you. If you listen to what I say, we can start over again."

There was a subtle pause in Tang Jin's movements before he solemnly nodded.

He agreed too quickly. Xu Bai Chuan inwardly took a deep breath and said, "Firstly, your parents have never respected me throughout these seven years. They treated me like a guard dog in your house by ordering me around. Since they're my elders, I won't seek an apology from them nor pursue things from the past. However, I request them to not interfere with my life and act out against the people around me again from now on. Otherwise, even rabbits will bite when threatened. Do you accept this?"

Tang Jin's parents are famous entrepreneurs in the business world. They were accustomed to being superior, praised by others and also believe they're a cut above everyone else. As a result, they attach great importance to family background. A person of Xu Bai Chuan's class was only worthy of being played around by Tang Jin temporarily, it was really degrading themselves. Tang Jin always had a good relationship with his parents, they never had a dispute before aside from the time he revealed his sexual orientation. To involve his parents in this discussion was pretty much a deal-breaker so of course, Tang Jin will be indignant and understand that he must back out of this situation.

Against his expectations, Tang Jin accepted with no hesitation whatsoever. "Yes."

Xu Bai Chuan was flabbergasted. Soon after, he thought: 'Saying yes so easily, let's see what happens later on.' He withdrew those thoughts and continued. "Secondly, those friends of yours target me both openly and secretly. I treated them like flies in the past and ignored them, but they keep on buzzing around me. It's extremely annoying. Can you manage your group of friends?"

The hurdle of his parents has already been overcome so the hurdle of friends was more straightforward.

Xu Bai Chuan continued, "Thirdly, I won't take care of you as I did in the past. I don't like to nor do I want to take care of people. If you still want to be waited upon like a Young Master, go back as soon as possible, don't waste..."

Listening on impatiently, Tang Jin interrupted him in a low voice. "I agree. I agree with them all."

Although this was the first time Xu Bai Chuan had spoken to Tang Jin in such a tone, Tang Jin accepted it all. Then he won't be quarrelsome any longer, with a snap of his fingers, it was a deal.

Seemingly relieved, Tang Jin cautiously hugged him and Xu Bai Chuan, with nowhere to hide, had his entire body pulled into an embrace. At this moment, Tang Jin's expression became happier and happier while Xu Bai Chuan's expression became more and more tormented. The person he likes was within his reach, yet he could only act like Liu Xiahui ³ and remind him with a heart full of malice: "Don't be happy so soon. I only gave you a chance to pursue me."
[T/N: 3 A Chinese politician of eminent virtue who was not disturbed with a woman in his lap. So, Xu Bai Chuan was unfazed with Tang Jin in his embrace.]

And the chance for Tang Jin to give up with his own hands.

Tang Jin froze up, then quickly relaxed and held onto Xu Bai Chuan tightly. He cautiously placed a kiss on his forehead.

Xu Bai Chuan reached his left hand into his own pocket and his right into Tang Jin's pocket. Then his right hand grabbed out his phone and his left tapped against Tang Jin's neck. An ice-cold sensation made Tang Jin abruptly shrink back. Once he looked down and saw that it was a key, he questioningly looked at Xu Bai Chuan.

Reaching his hand into Tang Jin's collar, Xu Bai Chuan pressed the key between his skin and sweatshirt. "It's my apartment key. Go inside to eat breakfast, I'm going on my morning jog."

Tang Jin rushed to say, "I'll go with you!"

Xu Bai Chuan pointed below his eyes. "Your eye bags have already fallen to here. Catch up on your sleep first."

As if they had returned to the past, his tone was gentle. Tang Jin looked at Xu Bai Chuan's expression before leaning in and lightly grazing his lips. Then he unwillingly released him.

It is truly strange how people never know to quit while they're ahead. Instead, they insist on mutually tormenting one another until either the fish dies or the net splits 4, only then do they willingly give up.
[T/N: 4 Struggle until the very end]

Since Tang Jin insists on casting a net, then Xu Bai Chuan could only accompany him to the bitter end.