How it Started!

Asher's POV

My name is Asher, and I am eleven years old. I live my parents. They both hate me. I have three older brothers. Elijah is the oldest, he is twenty-two. Lucas is the second oldest, he is twenty, and then Luke is the youngest besides me and he is sixteen. They have always been close. When Elijah graduated my parents bought them a four-bedroom house, three hours away where they could go to college and school. I am not allowed to speak to them. My parents say they do not want to speak to a little worthless brat. 

I finally got a phone a few months ago. Tomorrow is Elijah's birthday, and I am going to try and sneak his phone number to text him. I hope he will be excited to hear from me. I am also scared he told Mom I was a brat so he might not want to hear from me. It's almost six in the morning. I have to get up soon to make my parents breakfast. My body is so sore though.

Flash Back to last night. 

My dad came in the room when I was getting ready for bed. He was mad I forgot to fold their laundry. He made me take my clothes off down to my boxers. Then he took a cane and whipped me with it. I lost count at twenty and I blacked out. This morning my body is so sore, and I think I have a broken rib. It is swollen and it hurts to move. He did bring some Tylenol and put it on the floor. At least I can have something for pain. End of flashback. 

I get up and go to the box in the floor. I pull out my outfit for today. I walk over to my bathroom and get undressed. My body looks terrible. I turn the cold water on and hurry and shower. I am not allowed to use hot water. If they catch me, they will punish me. I get dressed and brush my teeth. Today is Friday so I get to eat one piece of toast for breakfast with one cup of milk. I only get breakfast on Monday and Friday. I get dinner on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I don't get to eat lunch. 

I hurry down the stairs and start making their breakfast. Mom and Dad always want scrambled eggs with cheese and toast. They always drink coffee or orange juice with it. I hurry and make their breakfast. They come down the stairs. I say, "Good morning, sir and mam." They don't even look at me. My mom puts her phone on the counter, and she walks to the dining room. When they are out of sight, I grab the phone. She doesn't have a code on her phone. I find Elijah's number and I save it. 

I put her phone back where I found it. They finish their breakfast, and they grab their stuff and walk out the door. I run to the dining room and do the dishes. I then go outside and wait for the bus to pick me up. When I get on the bus, I sit by Gabriel. Gabriel is my best friend. Well, he is more than my best friend. He is my boyfriend. We have to keep it hidden from my family. They don't like gay people. 

His parents know about us, and they support us. His Mom knows about my dad beating me. My parents are wealthy doctors and threated to send me away if she says anything. So, she keeps it quiet for my sake.  I also think she does it for Gabriel and me to be together. We are usually always together. As the we ride to school we talk about my morning. I told him I got Elijah's phone number. 

He wants me to tell Elijah. I am scared Elijah won't believe me or that he will beat me like dad. I pull out my phone and text Elijah. This will be a text conversation between Elijah(E) and Asher(A). 

(A) Is this Elijah?

(E) Yeah, who is this?

(A) It's Asher. 

(E) My little brother Asher? I haven't heard from you in a while. 

(A) Yeah, I'm sorry I wanted to text happy birthday. 

(E) Thank you, buddy. Why don't you ever call or text? 

(A) I had to sneak your number from Mom's phone. Please don't tell her I texted you.