𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 - 𝟎𝟓

I couldn't get any sleep last night

I couldn't get any sleep last night. The only thing that filled my mind was Dahlia. It's been about a week since we last hung out. We've been talking a lot recently. Sometimes we sit on Facetime for hours, sometimes we text and sometimes we don't talk at all.

I'm sitting in my 3rd lecture of the day trying to fight off the urge to lay my head down on this desk and disappear from the world.

Luckily this will be my last lecture so after this, I'll be free to do whatever I want for the rest of the day. I was staring off into space until I got a text from Dahlia. My mood immediately brightened as I looked at my phone.

Dahlia :)
Hey! How's your day so far?

I smiled before picking up my phone and responding.

Me
My day was fine, what about you?

Dahlia :)
My day was alright, are you busy tonight?

Me
No, why? What's up?

It took a few minutes for her to respond but when she did, my heart was doing jumping jacks.

Dahlia :)
My friend, her girlfriend and I are going to a Halloween-themed drive-in movie later on and I was wondering if you would like to tag along.

Me
Of course, I would love to! Text me the details.

Shutting my phone off, I finally decided to pay attention to the lecture.

☆ ☆ ☆

It's been a few hours since classes ended, Dahlia had texted me the details and I was currently sitting at my kitchen island eating Cherrios. I have a few hours left to spare until it's time to start getting ready.

"Hey bitch!" my roommate, Flynn greeted, walking in the door.

"Hey. How were the classes?" I asked, getting up to wash my bowl.

I heard her sigh before she responded, " They were alright, I'm considering switching my major."

"Damn that bad?" I chuckled.

"Shut up, what's up with you?" she asked.

"Later tonight I'll be going to drive in with Dahlia and some friends of hers."

"Ooooh, what are you guys gonna during the movie?" she said, wiggling her brows.

"I don't know.. maybe watch it?" I gasped sarcastically , placing the bowl in the dishwasher. I know black people don't believe in those but it's time we start breaking generational curses.

"Damn, rude much?"

I rolled my eyes and looked down at my phone to see it was 5:00 and the movie started at 7,
"I'm going to start getting ready, don't do anything I wouldn't approve of," I said walking towards my bedroom.

"No promises!" she yelled back.

☆ ☆ ☆

I just got done getting dressed, I decided to go for a cute but cozy look because it gets cold at night this time of year. I had on a knit two-piece with my Ugg tasmans and a few pieces of gold jewelry.

"Girl you look GOOD," Flynn shouted walking into the room. " She get money, her body tea!"
" She supa thick, she supa pretty!" I continued, posing in my mirror, Flynn is my number one hype woman. I love her.

It's now around 6:30 and I gave Dahlia my address, the park isn't far from the house so she's picking me up on the way there. I can't wait to see her again.

"Bring me back some food, I'm sick of going hungry in this house," Flynn said eating MY popcorn. "It's hard to tell considering you're constantly eating our groceries 2 days after we buy them." I cocked my eyebrow at her.

I watched as she rolled her eyes and walked out of my room, silenced. As she should. It took around 10 minutes of me waiting before I got a call from Dahlia.

"Hey! We're - " She shouted over the blasting Sexy Redd on the radio.

"What?!"

"I said we're outside your- "

"SHAKE YO DREADS SHAKE YO DREADS SHAKE YO DREADS!" a random voice called out.

"SHUT UP!" She shouted and the radio turned down almost immediately. "Hey. We're outside." I laughed before letting her know I was on the way and hanging up.

Once I reached the truck, I stood there in shock. The trunk was decorated so nicely, It looked like the picnic I set up but better. I opened the door and sat next to Dahlia.

We were the only ones in the backseat while two girls who I assume are her friends were in front.

"Hi." I breathed.
"Hi." She responded.

We sat in awkward silence as the truck began to make its way to the park.

"Well Dahlia, aren't you gonna introduce us to your friend? A girl with voluminous curly hair questioned sitting in the driver's seat.

" Oh right, um guys this is Raeni. Raeni this is Gabby," she pointed to the curly-haired girl. "That's her girlfriend, Xavier. " My eyes flicked to the brown-skinned girl sitting in the passenger's. " It's nice to meet you guys." I smiled and gave a small nod.

" Nice to meet you." Gabby and Xavier said at the same time, making them look at each other and giggle. Cute.

It didn't take long to get to the park. We spent the whole car ride getting to know each other, laughing and singing along to the music on the radio. I couldn't keep my eyes off of Dahlia though, she looked out of this world. There were times she caught me staring but I just played it off with a smile and joined whatever conversation we were having.

☆ ☆ ☆

It took a while to find a park but we ended up finding a good spot. I took in what the park looked like, It had pumpkins, orange fairy lights everywhere including the huge projector, along with a bunch of other tacky Halloween decorations.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when Dahlia came up and stood beside me. " Hey, you look good tonight." I smiled and grabbed her hand, "I can say the same for you."

Gabby needed help with the snacks so I volunteered to help. We grabbed them and placed them neatly in the trunk while Dahlia and Xavier set up the cushions, pillows and blankets.

Xavier and Gabby got comfortable, snuggling up with each other while me and Dahlia sat next to each other but not touching.

"What movies are they playing?" Do you know?" I asked them, wrapping myself in my blanket. The rules and policies were currently being displayed on the projector so I use this time to start a conversation.

"The Conjuring 2," Gabby responded, biting into her Snickers bar.

"What!? You said they were playing Disney Halloween movies!" Dahlia frowned.

"I lied. It was the only way I could get you to come."

I laughed at the slight pout on Dahlia's face but stopped once her head snapped towards me.

Yikes.
☆ ☆ ☆

It was not even 5 minutes into the movie and Dahlia was already flinching. "Girl. Nothing even happened yet, why are you jumping?" Gabby snickered.

"The thought of something happening makes me scared." I looked at her to see her hands slightly trembling so I grabbed one of them and smiled. She looked at me and my heart swirled of so many different emotions I couldn't even count.

"I-'

"SH SH SH, the movie's starting." Xavier interrupted.

I sighed and focused my attention on the projector.