Chapter 33: Is it Worth it?

"Well, Welcome to my room" I said awkwardly as I motioned him to walk in. His eyes quickly scanned the bedroom, lingering on the piano that was in the corner. He slowly walked to it, picked up one of the photo frames that I have displayed on it. He was analysing the photo. I couldn't help but observe each and every movement that happened on his face. I wanted to decipher his emotions by his facial expressions.

Stupid Me.

Hades Reigns knew damn well how to hide his emotions.

"I've never seen you that happy" Hades said out of the blue. I walked to him, took the frame from him to see which picture he was looking at. His eyes moved from the photo to my face. We were standing quite close to each other. A smile quickly crept on my face as I saw the picture of me in high school. My arm was wrapped around my sister. I remember when my father captured this moment. I was mid laugh while my sister had her hand blocking her mouth. I could feel the heaviness building inside of me.

"I don't think I've ever been truly happy ever since their deaths" I admitted softly as realisation sunk in. "Time doesn't truly take the pain away. You just learn to live to it. You adapt to it" I sighed as I closed my eyes.

My hormones were making me so emotional.

"It pains me" Hades suddenly started as he slowly took the frame from me and placed it on the piano. "It pains me that I cannot give you the happiness that you truly deserve" Hades said as he placed his hand on my cheek, his eyes glued to mine. He closed his eyes, exhaled then opened his eyes again. This time, they have moved to my lips. "I never realised how much my happiness depended on yours" he told me these words so effortlessly. Hades was never one to speak out about his feelings and tonight, he was pouring them out. "All I want is to peacefully be at home with you and my child by my side. That's the future that I picture for myself. That's where my happiness resides" Hades breathed. He never seemed so vulnerable before. His thumb slowly caressed my lower lip. "But. There's always a fucking but" he swore. The frustration and anger flickered in his eyes. "I have to fight for it. I have to fight for that future" Hades breathed.

"Is it worth it?" I questioned out loud. His eyes moved to mine, a frown formed on his face.

"Is it worth it?" He scoffed, taking a step backward. "How can you even ask me that question, Luna?" He asked. "Do you love me?" He suddenly asked. Hades seemed insecure. His eyes were glistening with hope, awaiting for my answer. He took my hand in his. "Do you love me, Luna?" He asked again.

"I am in love with you, Hades" I breathed shakily.

"Then it's worth it" he answered. "I am fighting for us. For our family. I know that my future is worth it" Hades wrapped his arms around me. "Because I can't picture my life without you in it, Luna" he admitted. "And that fucking scares the shit out of me" My eyes widened at his words. "I know that the safest thing to do is to stay away from you. I tried. But I fucking can't" Hades continued.

"Hades" I said softly.

"I'm sorry" he breathed in exasperation. "I'm so fucking sorry" I could sense that he was breaking down. I have never seen him like this. I could feel a knot building in my stomach. This meeting was not going as I had planned it. It was supposed to be a happy moment for us. "It fucking upsets me when I hear someone fucking disrespect you, Luna. I had to stay quiet. I had to stay away from you" he repeated. "But look at me. I fucking can't" he said, wearing a smile that didn't reach his eyes. His eyes were glistening with unshed tears. He was hurting.

His phone started ringing in his pocket, making me frown. My eyes instinctively moved to the clock and my frowned deepened. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and ended the call without looking at the screen. Just as he was about to put his phone back in, a message tinged through.

"Who is it?" I asked softly, trying to ease the frown off my face. Without any hesitation, he unlocked his screen and given how close we were, I could see Miss Lapin's name start flashing again as she was calling him again. "Laura?" I questioned in confusion.

"Must be about some business de-" he started but I quickly scoffed before putting my hands on my face in disbelief. I sighed then shook my head while he stared at me with wide eyes.

"How can you be so stupid?" I questioned, my voice pretty monotonous and exasperated at this point.

"Listen" Hades said firmly. "I have no fucking idea why she's calling. I just left her place" he admitted. My eyes widened at his words.

"What do you fucking mean?" I now questioned. My voice was shaky. What would Hades be doing at Laura's place at this time?

"I went there and ended everything. I am no longer business partner with her" Hades announced. I blinked a few times.

"What do you mean?" I asked dumbly.

"I am no longer working with her" Hades repeated. He took a step in my direction and placed his hand on my cheek, approaching his face closer to mine. "I don't know what I should do to make you trust me" he started softly. "But it's you before anyone or anything else" he said.

"I trust you" I said. "It's the other people that I don't trust. It's the fact that I had to see another woman touch you as if they own you" I continued. It was only then that I realised how jealous I was. I was still bitter about this.

Silly Me.

"Jealousy looks good on you, sweetheart" Hades whispered.