[9]

Lilith's POV:
    SHE. HELD. MY. HAND.
    Gosh, what happened to "everything will be fine, I'll just ignore her"? I forgot all about that when I saw her. Oh my god, that was so stupid. I looked up at her as we were getting checked in. Her usually long, messy hair was swept up in a high ponytail. Her pale skin glistened under the fluorescent lights, like reflective crystals.
    I was so mesmerized by the humanisation of elegance presented before me that I barely realized that we had already passed the check-in. However, I jolted back to reality when Hui Jie suddenly waved aggressively in front of my face.
    "Hello? Hello? Lilith?"
    "Huh, what," I blabbered like an idiot.
    "The old hag said we could walk around the terminal for a bit before boarding time," she said, peering at her phone's time display, " which is half an hour from now."
    It took me a moment to completely regain my consciousness to figure out and register that "Old hag" meant our teacher.
    "So...do you want to get Starbucks?" Hui Jie continued tentatively.
    "Yeah sure," I replied blindly.
    We strolled to the nearest coffee shop in awkward silence. None of us dared to initiate a conversation with the other. Hence it was just the seemingly loud thuds of my heavy shoes and the subtle rumbling of our luggage as we trailed them along.

[at Starbucks]

    "Welcome to Starbucks, what may I get you?" the barista asked pleasantly as we walked in. I smiled weakly.
    "A vanilla frappuccino with less ice, oat milk, and more whipped cream," I recited. "Please," I added. Hopefully, I didn't sound too entitled. I turned and stared at Hui Jie expectantly, waiting for her to order.
    "I-uh..." she paused, "Caffè Mocha."
    Wait, wasn't she allergic to chocolate?
    When we received our drinks and got out of the small cafe, I questioned, " why did you order a chocolate drink? Aren't you allergic?"
   "Well- yeah. I panicked, okay?" she fixed her eyes on the floor, her flushed cheeks indicating that she was embarrassed. I sighed.
    "Here," I snapped. I took the drink from her grasp and replaced it with mine. "No chocolate."
    She lifted her gaze to meet mine. "Oh...thanks," she said, giving me a grateful half-smile. I shrugged and continued walking back to the class's agreed assembly point.