Chapter XVI

A groan left my mouth when I tried to open my eyes but couldn't because of some lights blocking my view.

"Alessio dim the lights." I heard a low voice which happened to be none other then Cesco.

Someone stroked my head making me relax. I opened my eyes slowly to see I am in some kind of infirmary. Tilting my head sideways, I saw Cesco was sitting beside me on a bedside table. He smiled when he saw me looking at him.

"Thank god you are okay baby sister. We were worried that something happened to you." Alessio came towards me and gently pinched my cheeks. I smiled faintly at him.

"What happened?"

Cesco gave me some water when he heard my hoarse voice which I dranked in one gulp.

"You fainted after hitting the ball." Cesco said softly. My lips formed an 'O' shape when I recalled it.

"While we are at it, let's talk about that goal. Damm Scarlett, you never told me you know how to play soccer and that good?" Alessio rambled, making me smile proudly.

"Enough Alessio! Let her rest." A deep silvery voice was heard suddenly. We all moved our gazes towards the door to see Victor standing there with his hands in pocket and a deep frown on his face.

"How is she doing fran?" He asked Cesco while coming to stand beside me and touching my forehead with the palm of his hand.

"She is good. Her fever has gone down so she will be fine after some rest." Cesco replied in a professional voice.

Wait..

Fever?

My eyebrows scrunched up together, my lips pressed in a tight line.

"It was probably because you don't do any physical exercise much. And you played for an hour today, that too under the scorching sun. It's very common to get sick." Cesco explained when he saw me giving a confused look.

"I talked to your father Scarlett." Victor said in his usual calm voice. I glanced at him before moving my eyes to ceiling.

"And?" Cesco pressed on the topic.

"Well he told me something about her not being physically fit."

My lips automatically formed a pout, already knowing what he is going to say next.

"But it's quite normal for a 14 year old girl to faint. They are not as strong as boys so it would have happened with other girls too." Alessio said making me scowl at his choice of words.

"Girls are not weak" I grumbled.

"But it's not the case with her. She never played any outdoor sport in last four years. Not even in school."

After Victor finished talking, I could feel their accusing gaze at me. I pulled the quilt upwards to cover my face completely.

"Sorrelina.." Cesco said sternly.

"Fine! I'll tell you but promise me you won't speak of this again." With narrowed gaze, I looked at them one by one.

"Promise" they all said together. Except Victor who was just standing like a rock, observing everything.

"My mom..she used to coach girls soccer team in my previous school. She taught me how to play soccer when I was just 5. And so I have been playing with her since then. I even wanted to be on the team but.."

Taking a deep breath, I continued.

"When I turned 10, she... she passed away. I never played after that. I just couldn't." I stopped immediately when I felt my throat closing up.