32

"actually, i need to talk to you."

the girl looked side to side as if she wasn't the only one there. once she faced him again, she slowly nodded.

"alright.."

they were just in front of one of the entrances to the gym, but it wasn't a busy area. nobody was there and it was a bit dark, so he didn't waste time and decided to start speaking.

but before he could even do so, one of the doors next to them opened, almost hitting namkyu. if it weren't for sunghoon's quick reflexes, namkyu would've definitely ended up with a bruise or something.

the culprit was jungwon. out of all people.

he looked just as surprised, immediately apologizing to namkyu before his eyes landed on sunghoon.

they exchanged blank stares, the tension was strange.

jungwon quickly averted his attention to namkyu and thought of something, "namkyu! perfect. seonsaeng-nim (t/n: teacher) told me to get someone to fill in my partner's absence for the meantime. since you're here, do you mind helping me?" he asked, looking at her with hopeful eyes.

sunghoon knew what he was doing, and he didn't like that.

he wanted to decline for her, but he just clenched his fist and turned his head to the side instead, visibly irritated.

"please..?" jungwon added. namkyu stared at him before looking back at sunghoon, noticing his mood quickly changing. she knew that if she said no, jungwon would have to practice by himself.

but if she did agree to jungwon, then she wouldn't have the chance to hear sunghoon out with whatever he's going to say.

but then again, that could always wait, right? the sports festival is the next day and she knows how desperate her teacher is for a win. she's also looking forward to that dinner celebration after the festival with the rest of the 2nd years.

she finally makes up her mind and sighs, "alright... let's go then." she smiled hesitantly to jungwon, who quickly takes ahold of her hand.

sunghoon saw this in the corner of his eye and felt sick.

how the hell can he do that so easily?

once the door finally shut close, he relaxed his clenched fists and let out a scoff.

"fucking hell." he curses under his breath, brushing his hair back frustratedly before backing up against the wall to lean back on it.

he slid down and sat on the uncleaned floor. his arms are rested on his knees as he stares at the floor in front of him. he couldn't help but feel frustrated with himself.

now that he's finally got the guts to talk to her about everything, why are things getting in his way?

he thought about this for a while before coming to a conclusion.

maybe it should be like that.

maybe it shouldn't be so easy.

he lets out a sigh before finally accepting whatever was going through his head at the moment.

maybe i'm meant to work hard, just for her.

that's just how it is, isn't it?

i haven't even gone through the proper stages to making her mine, like genuinely confessing and telling her how i feel about her.

i got her so easily because i knew it wasn't even real. therefore i had no worries if she ended up rejecting me.

he finally stands up and pats the dirt away from his shorts before pulling the door open to go inside.