3.

2 weeks later...

Wednesday | 7:05 a.m.
October 19, 2016

Antoinette "Ann" Mackey

"Good morning wifey," Shiloh said, strolling into the kitchen.

"Good mor—"

I was cut off with him wrapping his arm around my back and leaning down, planting a kiss on my lips. In pure confusion, I watched as he walked back around the island to have a seat.

I wanted to ask him if he was okay. That was something I'd been wanting to ask for weeks now, but I always decided against it. He hadn't acted like much of a husband during almost our whole year-long marriage. Part of me felt like I should've just kept quiet and been happy he was doing so now. I'd gotten up early and changed and fed Shyanne like I did every morning before putting her back to sleep. I found myself making breakfast every morning, although Shiloh was normally out the door without sitting down to have it with me. He had to be to work before nine because that's normally when the shop opened, and the boss could be an asshole at times. Even then, he'd never gotten up this early or even attempted to sit down and actually eat or have a cup of coffee.

It got lonely being in the house without much communication from him. Upon getting pregnant a second time, we'd decided that taking time off from work temporarily was for the best. I'd miscarried the child I was pregnant with when we'd gotten married only to end up pregnant again with our two-month-old daughter Shyanne. Shiloh wasn't much of a husband, but he was a loving father. I was tired of sitting around the house and I felt like it was time to go back to work. If talking to him about that wasn't enough, I wanted to know why he'd married me. I used to think it was out of love, but I hadn't felt that in God knows how long.

Two weeks ago, when he'd defended me at the block party, it didn't feel genuine as if he was doing it because I was his wife that he loved but more so because he felt like he had to prove a point to the many people around him. He just had to let people know he was tough. We came home that night and acted as if nothing happened. Truth be told, I was embarrassed.

"What?" He took the cloth off his plate and placed it in his lap.

"You just..."

"Just what?"

"You never sit down to eat in the morning let alone get up and be ready this early," I told him placing sausage, eggs, bacon, and chocolate chip pancakes on his plate along with my own. "Orange juice or coffee?" I put a hand on my hip.

He took a piece of bacon and bit it slowly as he just studied me as if he had something on his mind he wanted to say. When he didn't answer my question, I pour him some orange juice and walked around the island to take a seat. The look on his face was one of disappointment when I left a chair between us instead of sitting by him.

"Just thought I'd sit down with my wife this morning and have a meal. I know I haven't been acting like much of a husband, but I'm trying. Why are you acting as if you don't wanna sit next to me? Come here." He patted the seat in between us.