Chapter 35: weird, weird, weird

Nathan p.o.v

"Hello Rose, it's good to see you again." I greeted the girl who had been in a coma for over four months.

Rose looked confused and disoriented. Slowly we made our way next to her bed. Max and I were on her right, Derek on her left. 

She looked between us. "Nathan? Max?" 

"Yes Rose, we are here," I said as Max waved at her. 

She looked at me and then at Derek. I held my breath. I was afraid of what was going to happen. I didn't even know if she remembered everything that went on before she got into a coma. 

"Derek?" 

I looked at him and saw he was only nodding his head, probably too afraid to say anything. "You are really here? This is real?" The little girl questioned. 

It pained my heart for her reaction. I thought, I thought... I didn't know what I thought she was going to be like, but not like this. 

"Yes, this is real Rose. We are real," I tried to convince her. I kissed her forehead and gave her hand a little squeeze. "See, we are real." 

She only nodded her head. 

"Do you know what happened?" I asked her. 

Rose frowned and looked like she was thinking really hard. "Yes, I think so. The doctors told me I was asleep for a very long time, although..." 

She became quiet after that. "Although what sweetie?" 

"It-it didn't feel like sleeping. Maybe-maybe in the beginning, but suddenly I heard voices and I wanted to wake up... I couldn't. I wanted to talk back but couldn't. I couldn't spe-" Rose started to ramble. She looked frantic and that was the last thing I wanted. 

Rose shouldn't be overwhelmed right now, there were already too many things going on before she went into a coma and things wouldn't be easy in the future too. Therefore, Rose should take it slow now. 

"Rose, Rose, don't think about it too much. Just get better first and from there you can handle the other things slowly, all right?" 

She sighed but agreed nonetheless. 

I smiled. I was just so happy she was awake and safe. Away from that cruel man, that still claimed to be her father when he was taken by the police. 

The fucking audacity. 

The only thing that still worried me was Rose behavior now. I didn't want to dwell on it too much, there was already so much more to be worried about. So, I would let the doctors handle this, her recovery. 

Rose p.o.v

Everything was weird. So, so weird. 

Being able to hear voices and respond to them was weird. Not seeing darkness was weird. Being able to move my limbs was weird. Seeing Max, Nathan, and, especially, Derek was weird. 

It was all too weird. 

I hated all the changes, that happened before I went back to my father. I hated being in my old life again. Let stand the changes that were happening to me right now.

I hated that I wanted to feel small, smaller, and smaller every time I heard a faint sound in that old, moldy house. Hated that the place I called home didn't feel like home. 

I used to love that old, moldy house. I loved my room, my safe haven. Where I could feel voluntarily small, and not have to feel small to be overlooked by my father.