Chapter 26: Hero or Villain

Rose p.o.v

Quitely I sat in the living room coloring in one of my coloring books when Daddy came up to me. I could hear his footsteps from afar and excitement only grew in me. After my last punishment, he became even more distant to me and more involved with Olivia. 

Olivia came by more and more disagreements began to arise between me and Olivia and me and Daddy. She only brought stress and conflicts here, in the house. But now, now she was gone for a couple of days and I had Daddy all to myself again. 

Daddy and I even watched a movie together yesterday and snuggled some. It wasn't for long, still, I loved every minute of it. 

I had hoped Daddy would come and join me. Sadly, I was being disappointed. Again.

"Rose, go upstairs to Stella." 

"Why Daddy?" I whined. I knew this was bad news. 

"Nathan is going to pick you up in thirty minutes." I turned my head around and saw Daddy being busy fixing his tie.  

He looked smart, having a three set piece suit on in the color dark blue. I was wondering what was so important he had to go to that he dressed like that. 

"Where you going, Daddy?" 

"Nothing important." His distant attitude made its appearance again and it bugged me. He always told me to speak the truth, yet here he was standing in front of me, not even bothering to make up a lie, just bluntly ignoring me. 

I stood up. "Daddy where are you going?" 

"Nothing that concerns you. Now go upstairs and get ready. Be a good girl for once." If it were me just of the streets hearing these words, I would back down immediately. 

Only, during my time here and with Anna and Max I had learned to gain confidence, and with, ironically, the help of Olivia I became more articulate. I knew now better how to voice my thoughts and feelings. 

And it was now, that I was over naive me and had to grow up and face the man in front of me. Little me was being pushed back in my mind to protect her and the grown-up young adult Rose made its appearance. 

"You be honest for once." I huffed. 

Daddy sighed. I could see the battle in his eyes and I hoped his good and caring side for me, would for once, win. 

"I got an important meeting and...and after I go to Olivia." I had just witnessed he actually did have some conscience, but I could also clearly see he did not listen to it. 

"But you will have great fun, baby. You will go to the pool." 

I crossed my arms. "I don't know how to swim. You know that. Can't you just stay with me? We barely spend time together anymore. I miss you..." I became quieter as the lonely and sad feelings that I had bottled up the last couple of weeks started to overflow. 

I needed my safe place and he, the tall man that had taken me in, was my safe place. 

"Rose, I explained this over and over to you. Olivia is my girlfriend, of course, I am going to spend more time with her. I don't understand what you don't get?" He taunted. 

My heart broke when I realized that he wouldn't, ever, understand how I felt. Feeling like someone who stands at the sideline, someone who sits on the bench waiting to be called over when needed and be seated when not. 

"So, what am I doing here then?" I asked lowly. 

"You are my baby girl of course!" Daddy exclaimed, like a matter of fact.