3. Capri-sun

Everleigh Dolan

I smelt something so good, I heard my door creak and my mom peak her head through.

"Ugh you make my life so easy being an early bird." She smiled.

"I made some French toast eggos and little Victor brought over fresh fruits he said his mom cut up." She smiled.

"I'll be down soon thank you momma." I sat up and looked for my hair tie, tying my hair up.

I looked out my window seeing the guys window open and a loud purring of some sort of vehicle outside.

I looked down and he had a helmet on, a backpack, and looked up at my window before just driving off.

So loud.

I looked through my boxes of unpacked clothes and on top sat my favorite pair of black leggings and a grey hoodie.

I put both of those on before brushing my teeth, not caring for my hair or face today as I slipped on deodorant and perfume, and walked downstairs.

"That boy leaves mighty early for his school being five minutes away." Momma said and I laughed.

"So what you told me last night, is that he's a mate?" I asked her and she smiled at me.

"This school is dedicated to people who are aware of mates and I moved here not telling you because I feared you wouldn't agree to go. But yes, the tingles the way you listen when he says to eat. He's your 'mate' but you shouldn't say anything because according to his mother he seems indifferent." She said and I nodded.

I wasn't planning on it. I just want to do good and get a good start. I didn't even buy this mate thing. Whatever.

I ate the fruit happily then grabbed the little waffle patterned French toasts and left with my book bag.

I got into my car and began driving to school, finishing the food and putting on my cherry carmex.

I hopped out and sighed looking through my Gmail to see my locker and it's number.

I got out of my car, holding my phone and wrapping one of my curls around my finger trying to readjust it back into the bun but it didn't wanna go so I shrugged it off as I walked in the large school.

I watched as people were flirting and either in love or hitting on those who weren't. Pheromones pierced my nose nearly making me want to gag.

I shook off the gross feeling, believing this would be a good experience for me.

I got to my locker and unlocked it, placing all my things inside except my 5 subject binder.

I grabbed a pencil and closed the locker feeling eyes pierce into the back of my head. I turned and the boy who lived next door was glaring at me strangely with his arm around a brunette girl causing some sort of pinching feeling go down my spine.

His eyes were bright red and purple bags lived under them. He didn't listen to the people talking around him.

I attempted a wave but gave up when the girl began kissing his neck and more of that weird pinching was on me.

I shook my head slightly to remind myself that I'm just here to finish my Junior year.

I heard the bell and went to my first class. Algebra this early in the morning.

I sat down in the back of the room and spent all of my time, filling out a worksheet off of something I did at my old school, turning it in at the end of the period before walking out and going to history.

-

By lunch I was sitting outside and I didn't feel like eating the lunch food as it was powdered pizza crust with chunky sauce and that just seemed unappetizing.

I sat against a tree, savoring the constant warm, humid weather I wasn't used to.

Florida was refreshing and god my curls and skin loved the weather.

I just have to remember to tame my hair more often.

I worked on some of my history work as it was a packet based on the renaissance and I took notes on the passage the teacher handed out.

As I wrote I heard a low voice, clearing their throat and I looked up. It was Roman and he gave me a strange look, his black hair being pushed back with his other hand and his brown eyes glaring.

He held out something to me and I looked at his tattooed arms before taking it and looking.

"I didn't have time to grab much more but eat it. Here." He also handed me a cupped yellow thick drink.

He knitted his eyebrows in confusion as he spoke.

"Mango pineapple. Please just eat it." He walked away and I looked down shaking my head seeing a pizza lunchable. I adored these down in Louisiana, ate them as a child often.

I felt eyes on me as I ate the nostalgic fake pizzas and the small crunch bar after.

I put the Capri sun in my hoodie pocket before drinking the smoothie.

I was able to finish the pages of written notes before Language arts.

I sighed getting up from off the floor and patted the dirt from the lively grass off my butt and grabbed my things going to my third class.

-

I was indifferent about having this class with Roman. I mean he was an attractive boy, quiet, lots of girl, the typical white boy that everyone wants and I just hoped for something good to come out of this.

As I sat in the back I remembered how Vic wanted to do chalk this afternoon and it brought a smile to my face as the seat next to me pulled out.

I looked and Roman sat by me, silent as ever, not sparing a glance.

He looked like sleep didn't exist for him.

"Alright class it seems you already are in your assigned partnerships." The teacher begun and I looked up seeing names drawn together and he was with me.

I pulled the small juice from my hoodie and placed it in front of him.

He looked over and glared at me in an uncomfortable way and I didn't move as heat fell upon my face and I pushed the juice closer to him.

He sighed and shook his head as he poked the small straw in and drank it.

I sighed, something in me feeling better than he's drinking something but it was a feeling I easily shook off.

The instructions were handed out and Roman looked at me.

"I don't fail. We will do well on this and I'll go on with my life you understand?" He said lowly and I choked, the pinching in my spine tightening again for god knows what reason.

"I understand." I nodded, attempting something resembling politeness rather than utter annoyance and intimidation.

"Good."