28 | red is the colour of power

"I like this colour on you,"

"Seems to be the common phrase lately," I sighed, clipping my hoops together.

After rolling my lips in the dark velvet paint, I pucker them and smiled, flipping my hair to the side. The smell of my new perfume lingering in the air that Lexi, Ana and I are breathing in. The aromatic bliss of sandalwood beneath the roses and peaches. Quite the change from the sweet berry scents I was so used to wearing.

"Red's always been her colour though...right?" Ana questioned, walking around me and I watched her through my vanity.

"Yeah, yeah, I mean this attitude and frankly...everything else." Lexi curled her lips, sipping on a margarita. "You're glowing, Jean." her sing-song tone is more than mocking and I roll my eyes at her, grabbing my red blazer off my chair as I stand.

"Getting laid really is rejuvenating huh?" Ana raised her brows and I swiftly turned on my heels to face her. Gone is the woman who would stand bug-eyed at such crude comments, instead, I smiled.

"That's the last time you'll hear about that," I simply said. My attitude changed, not my self-respect—it's a fine line.

I heard Lexi's rich laugh and I chuckled with her as I continued to fix myself for my day. Only three days after the public announcements, I can see why the Hearsts' moved up in the world so fast. They don't beat around the bush nor do they like giving up control...well...for the most part at least. Today is the first official meeting of our business relations. Sure the burrowed issue is still to be discussed but this transaction isn't just a rose-coloured lens. It bodes fruit for me and my own business.

"The only time I will truly die is when I hear what happened in that office that drastically changed you." Ana joked, I laughed tenderly.

"It's less about me changing I think and more about him pushing the right buttons," I responded while checking the time. I need to leave now if I want to keep my punctuality in check. "And for the record, I'm taking the memories from that office to my grave."

"Damn, now I really wanna know," Ana pushed on and I noticed Lexi rolling her eyes in the corner.

I sighed and placed my hands on my hips. "What now Lady Judgement? You're doing that thing where you're quiet but your opinions are just as loud."

Turning to me, she sighs too. "Still don't trust him."

Ana gasped exaggeratedly that it made me chuckle.

"And why is that?" I asked.

"Because if I recall correctly a few days ago you were this woman who was so attuned with everything she kept it all to herself. Not to mention a heartbroken woman who only saw pretty little meek things. You just changed so quickly, it's weird." Lexi crossed her legs and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.