16 | something oh so familiar

I tap my nails on the wooden table, flipping pages on a document I’ve long awaited

I tap my nails on the wooden table, flipping pages on a document I’ve long awaited. There was an eternal silence lasting in my dining room though the gaps are filled with paper crackles and the now-and-again questions of who has what. With the pool of documents before me, I sighed and slid the one I’m holding into the middle, not having much patience for it. Not much as dusk closes in. 

“How much?” I asked, looking around at the team of people who swore they could help me. 

“Five Million and that’s with the other case.” Dean, a co-counsel said with a pen tumbling back and forth on his fingers. I rolled my jaw and scoffed, trying to figure out when a defamation lawsuit became a land issue. 

Everything came tumbling down in such a swift act that I was blind sided by it. All I remember is Dean calling me at two am reporting the second lawsuit. So there I was in the dark listening to him talking about the next steps and the need for an urgent meeting regarding the issue. At first I thought it was a cold accusation that would lead to nothing but with the offer of settlement standing in the millions, I guess not. 

“That’s enough to bankrupt me two times over. No,” I sternly tell them, leaning back and folding my arms. 

Eve, my main solicitor looked at me with dismay and she said, “I know and I’m sorry. But if you don’t want to settle then you’re gonna need to go back to the Essex, claim all the files, records, titles and deeds to the land—”

“My own grandfather breathed and lived on that land. He gave it to me on his will, Rosaline has nothing to do with it.” I grit my teeth and the room stares at me. I can see it in their eyes, they’re watching their client break. The tension rose and I settled, trying not to alarm them anymore than I needed to.

“Ms Garcia, your mother is next of kin which means without any records that land is still hers.” Dean says.

“Isn’t the will a record? That clearly says I am the sole owner.” I tell them, pointing at the yellow folder beside me, my grandfather’s name peaking through the small crack.

“In truth it should be, but that’s a grey area. We need the deed, a proof that you signed off on it and the title that shows it was handed down to you. Until then, this case is valid. The other party offered at least a six month period for evidence collection. If you get all that’s needed, I am not doubting this case being void by then.” Eve tells me and I looked around, the two more co-counsel taking notes and I expected for them to tell me that there was another way. When no one said a word I took a deep breath.

“Well?” I asked, catching their attention. “Is there any other way that you can think of? Maybe counter-suing?” I asked, desperation filling my voice. 

The two, Leslie and Von looked at each other with looks of uncertainty before they returned back to me. 

“On what grounds ma’am?” Leslie asked in that thick irish accent.