01.2 | a perilous night

The night continued to be perilous and started to spatter a little

The night continued to be perilous and started to spatter a little. That didn't make us quit our journey to the bus stop across the street. With the wind blowing against our direction, it carried teardrops of rain that slowly filled the cracks on my lips and the gaps in between my lashes. By the time we sat on the cold benches, the rain had begun to pour heavily, pitter-pattering on the plastic roof that barely helped our case.

"You still haven't answered my question, you know." Daniel starts, tucking himself tightly in the coat that he had brought out before we left the comfort of the coffee shop. Now, we wait for the next trip.

"Frankly, I don't really know how to,"

"Either that or you don't want to say it out loud," His voice rasped and I looked at him, wondering when such a kind stranger became so wise; or nosy.

"Maybe it hasn't sunk in yet, how about that?" I remarked, chuckling to myself at the idea as I watched the rain ripple the puddles.

"If you don't mind me asking, how long have you two been together and why is it so difficult to be accepting-not to offend you or anything."

His politeness overcame any subtle hint of judgement and condemnation. I considered the answer.

"Well..." I sharply inhaled. "We were together for two years and I guess it's hard to accept the ending when you never saw it coming. When it's so damn stupid."

It's true. When you fall in love with someone and that love becomes an exponential masterpiece that lives within you every minute of every day, the ending seems infinitely impossible. So, when it comes it's like everything you had ever known had only been seen through rose-coloured stains. It doesn't easily come off.

"You must have spoken about it civilly...surely," Daniel said with much conviction while he rubbed his hands warm, every word leaving a white print upon the dark night.

"We did and you know, maybe-" I feel a lump in my throat, guilt-ridden strangler roped against the cold wind. I swallowed it down and continued. "Maybe just maybe, a small part of me is still waiting for my damn phone to go off and it would be him calling to apologize." I bite my lip, seeing double now as my heart feels as if it's stuck between walls.

Silence. Normally, silence would scare me as it would leave me vulnerable and imprisoned by my thoughts yet here...it is rather serendipitous. I kept my gaze ahead, into the lustreless buildings that are blurred now and again by a few cars.

"I'm sorry." There it is. The generic response to a broken-hearted girl. I laugh.

"What happened to your loud opinions?" I joked, turning to him only to find the pitiful eyes and smile that he tried to hide.

The breeze suddenly got colder and the rain, louder. Flashes in the dark skies now filled the greyed horizon followed by softer rumbles that lead to bigger ones. A light show within the heavens. I'm sure they are rejoicing in my torment.