03 | tried to change the ending

Life has many indicative paths

Life has many indicative paths. Love, fate, success, failures. Yet in all of those, only one thing can truly make it or break it. Hope. A truly bittersweet belief that somehow, things would go the way you plan things to go. That being said, hoping is a lover's poison.

"So he broke up with you while drunk?" Ana said, gulping down the Merlot she poured herself.

"Yeah, and you didn't bother to tell me? I was literally in your office the next day," Lexi buts in but I was so focused on lining my eyes that I barely even had the time to respond.

"Lexi, clearly she was still processing, leave her alone." Ana defends and I smile at her through my mirror. "But seriously, you should have told one of us."

"Ok, stop. I appreciate your concerns and disappointment but I'm fine. Adults can handle stuff alone." I tell them, whilst in the back of my head, I listed all the mundane things I couldn't even comprehend as an adult. A redundancy to my point but I rest my case.

"Right," Ana says, pushing her beautiful box braids back and down her dewy brown skin. "But that doesn't mean you have to sulk all alone. Why'd you think us friends are here? Come on. You and I have known each other since secondary school."

"Speaking of, if it was that bad then why are you still going on a date with him?" Lexi asked as adjusted the straps of my bra and reached for my dress that laid fresh on the duvet.

"Because he wants to talk about it and he seemed sincere about his apology. Come, zip me up." I waved Ana over.

"You remember Este from secondary school?" She says and I nod. "And Tyler?"

"Who're they?" Lexi cringed. Sometimes it slips my mind that she wasn't there.

"They're this on and off couple back then. You know, the 'it' couple?" I explained, putting on the teardrop earrings I found laying on my dresser.

"Yeah, she was in the newspaper last week," Ana said and I laughed.

"Care to share the relevance?"

"Jean...she was in the gazette as a victim of domestic violence. From her husband...Tyler."

"Oh my god," Lexi and I gasped.

"Mhmm," Ana nods, crossing her legs on my window seat. "Those two were inseparable and every time a rumour goes around that Brady does some shady shit she defends him. It's called toxic. So yeah, watch your man." She pointed her stiletto nail towards me and I shared a look with Lexi.

"It was one fight. I mean, I am sorry for Este but...Leo isn't like that."

"To be fair, that's what people like Este would say—"

"Lexi..." I point my burgundy lipstick at her, a shy attempt to look threatening yet she only shakes her head.

"Jeanette, one of the biggest lies someone can tell themselves is that it's not bad enough. You said you set your boundaries and said that you and he has been in a lot of arguments lately. We're not the one making this thing up." Ana said, pursing her lips after.