Chapter 16 - Attack

Aaron

"Erin!"

Great Goddess, why did things have to get so messy? Of course, I was surprised when Joshua and Wren suddenly announced that they were mates. I wasn't expecting my fellow beta to man up and confess so soon. And while I was glad they could be happy now, the fact that Erin had to get so screwed over in this was a side effect I would've liked to avoid.

But was it really avoidable? Erin loved Wren, I knew that at least. And Wren had loved Erin. I wasn't sure where Wren stood anymore if I was honest. He'd been upset over Erin's kiss last night, so that had to mean something right? And once Joshua entered his life, I was sure there had to have been some pull, even if Wren couldn't sense it.

In the end, Erin would've been hurt no matter what. And now it was my job to help him out.

"Erin!" I called out again, pushing away a tree branch from my face.

After a few minutes of stumbling around, I finally found him seated against a tree with his head in his hands. I slowly approached my best friend, sitting down next to him against the tree. Pulling my knees up to my chest, I sighed lightly.

"Why?"

"Huh?" I asked, looking over at him.

"Why now? Why me?" Erin asked quietly. "I was ready to try again with Wren. I knew I messed up, and I was ready to fix my mistake. But I was too late."

I remained silent, before slowly leaning my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry. I had hoped Wren would talk to you before you found out like that, but it happened kind of suddenly," I admitted.

"What do you mean?" Erin asked suspiciously, to which I laughed lightly.

"I've known they were mates for a little while. I told Joshua he had to grow a pair and tell Wren, but I never thought he'd do it on the trip. I'm assuming it happened last night since I literally told him yesterday."

Erin laughed bitterly, his head softly thumping against the tree trunk. "So I kissed a mated man and I didn't even know."

"Don't beat yourself up over it, man. We knew it was bound to happen, that Wren would find his mate."

"I know..." Erin sighed, his body slightly deflating underneath my head. "Of course I know. I was the one who said we should take a break for that very reason. I just didn't think now would be the time I lost him."

"You haven't truly lost him. You two will always be connected in your own way," I offered.

"Of course you would say that. Geez, you can be such a softie sometimes. It's so weird."

I sat up straight now, glaring at him playfully. "Take that back, mister. I'm not soft."

Erin grinned mischievously, and I was relieved to see a little glimmer of his usual self. "You're just a huge, cuddly romantic at heart, and you can't deny it."

"Remind me again why I tried to comfort you? You obviously don't need it," I huffed, crossing my arms.

The idiot laughed at me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Thank you, Aaron. I mean it. You always know what to say to make me feel better."

"Of course. You're my alpha; I have to be useful for something other than running the pack with you," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Without you, I'm sure that as soon as our dads stepped down, I'd run the place to the ground."

"Probably," I mused. "But you won't, 'cause I'll be there to keep you in check."

We went silent for a little while after that, simply enjoying each other's company. No matter how normal Erin seemed now, I knew he was still really hurt. Of course, he was. But, I hoped he'd find his own happiness soon. He of all people deserved it. He was funny, intelligent, and was going to be a damn-good alpha.