Chapter 3 - Rejection Hurts

Joshua

I watched Wren leave, feeling my frustration well up all over again, tightening in my chest. With a groan, I let my head fall to the counter, trying to calm myself down. A myriad of emotions were flying through me: anger, confusion, jealousy, lust. This entire situation felt almost like a punishment from the goddess.

When Mark first told me I'd have to join him and his mom on a trip to the neighboring pack, I hadn't thought much of it. Since I would be his beta, I knew it was inevitable that I'd have to travel with them. What I didn't expect was to meet my mate here.

Seeing Wren for the first time was something I will never forget. I hadn't seen him when I first walked into the cafe. The rest of the group had blocked my view, but I did smell him. The moment I walked in I smelled the warm and inviting scent of fresh-baked bread and something sweet and fruity, like peaches or something. At first, I thought it was just the smell of the cafe, so I didn't pay attention to it.

But when he walked over, my world was suddenly flipped upside down. Beautiful midnight hair, a fair complexion that practically glowed, and dark, breathtaking eyes that I couldn't look away from. He was enchanting. I felt a sudden need to grab his hand and pull him to me so I could wrap myself in his scent and warmth. And I thought he felt the same way, felt drawn to me through our bond.

Instead, he smiled politely and began taking our orders. When he got to me, he didn't even bat an eye at the fact that I was his mate. It was like he didn't even realize it. I froze up. My mate was staring right at me and hadn't even acknowledged our bond yet. Was this him rejecting me? It had felt like it. My heart was throbbing painfully as if it was trying to escape my chest to reach for him. I ached to touch him, to ask why he was being like this. We were mates. Shouldn't he be claiming what was his?

"He'll have an americano and a blueberry scone, please," Mark interjected for me, breaking me from my thoughts.

Blueberries. He smelled like blueberries, I couldn't help but think. How ironic. Wren then left, but not before looking at his future alpha one last time. Underneath the table, I gripped my pants, trying to calm myself down. My mate hadn't bothered to even ask my name yet he'd given a final look to some other man. I felt even more lost. Mark had given me this concerned look, silently asking if I was okay. I nodded my head, giving a small smile. I could tell him later.

I think one of the things that hurt the most from this encounter was when Wren touched my hand on accident. I immediately felt the sparks between us, could feel my heart swell with emotions I never thought possible. But he pulled away as if it was an accident, as if he hadn't felt what I had. It hurt. My entire life, I'd waited for the moment I could touch my mate and feel the physical representation of our bond. Boy or girl, I was ready to love them with my entire being.

But Wren... I had no clue what to do. I guess I panicked when I asked for his name at the register. I needed to know. If he was rejecting me, I wanted to at least know who he was. Wren. What a beautiful name. And his smile was so dazzling, even if it was one out of politeness. After Mark hurried me out, he stopped me.

"Hey, what's going on? You were acting weirdly back there," he asked me with a frown.

Mark had been my friend since we were in diapers. He knew everything there was to know about me and the same went for me about him. So when he asked me what was wrong, I knew I had to come clean. With a sigh, I told him that I'd found my mate.

"Well, that's great, man! Who is it? Was it that girl cleaning tables next to us? The blonde?" He asked me.

I shook my head.