38. The Woods And Thoughts

The rest of the morning had been full of chores. Or it felt like it, whereas Lady Wheat, Katherine, and Christopher considered it 'little duties for a big event.'

Such things as choosing the table cloth pattern, or choosing what last-minute foods we wanted. And they didn't complain?

I didn't care. I still saw it as chores.

But for all of my hard work, I was rewarded with lunch. And you want to know what I got? And itty bitty salad.

Grateful, yes, but full? No. I got a muffin for breakfast and now a salad. Dinner better taste like the stars if they were starving me this much.

After our little lunch, Lady Wheat had let me off the hook. The ball was going to begin in a few hours, and it wasn't going to be a while until I could put on my dress, so I had plenty of time on my hands.

The only problem was I didn't know what to do.

Then an idea came to me. Why not bother Christopher with my existence?

I didn't mean this to annoy him (only a little), but trying to get a bit of information about that letter was tempting.

I needed an answer, and what better way could I do it then blessing my dear husband with my presence?

"Uh, darling," I said to Christopher, just as all the guests left the table, including the Wheat's family, who was just out of earshot.

He stood up from the table and adjusted his tailcoat. "Yes, my love?" He said.

I smiled lovingly. "Would you join me for a walk? It is quite lovely out there."

Not seeing my plan, Christopher flashed a pleased smile. "But of course, although it is quite chilly out there, and I can not rest until you find a shawl to put over yourself. Winter is coming fast, you know, dear."

I would put on a thousand shawls if it meant he would come with me.

"Yes, of course," I said and called over a servant.

It was my favorite maid, Marie, that answered my becking call. She was one of the ladies that helped me get ready in the morning. She scampered over to me.

"Yes, miss?" she asked sweetly. That's why I liked her; she was so sweet.

"Please fetch my shawl from upstairs." I gave a friendly smile. "Thank you, Marie.

She seemed surprised that I used her name, but none the less, she scurried up the long flight of stairs in search of my shawl.

"Anywhere particular, you want to go, darling?" Christopher asked when Marie left.

I turned to him, thinking it over. "The path that leads into the woods. I like seeing the trees change color."

"Why do I have a feeling I'm going to die tonight?" Christopher inquired in a low voice so I could only hear it.

I smirked. "Because maybe you are."

He chuckled and lowered his mouth to my ear. "I would appreciate it if you would save the satisfaction of murdering me till after our dance tonight," he whispered.

I felt goosebumps course through my body, making me shiver, and I couldn't decide if it was because if it was his hot breath or his words that did it for me. Maybe it was both.

I swallowed the rising lump in my throat and said as calmly as I could, "We shall see."

His mouth still hovering around my ear, he chuckled. "I guess we shall, hmm?" He said and then pulled away just as Marie arrived with my shawl.