14. A Sly Savior With A Heart

Skip leaned in closer, now fully sitting on the bed, his icy evil eyes looking me up and down. I was scared. There was no way I could feel brave now. Not when the worse was coming.

"Be a dear, lass," he purred. "lay down for me, aye?"

"Skip, there is n-no need for t-that," I squeaked, pulling my face away from his. I used my hands to block him and tried to push him back, but he only swiped my hands away.

"Ye quite the pretty little thing, aren't ye?" Skip said. By now, I was entirely in the corner with Skip just inches away. I tried once more to push him off, but it was no use.

"I'll scream! I will!" I threatened, pushing harder. It did nothing but make Skip angry. He grabbed my wrists and pulled me toward him.

"Nah, ye won't," he growled, then chuckled. "Ye are scared, aren't ye?"

Just as I thought it was all over and that I had lost, a miracle happened. And that miracle came in the form of a charming pirate captain with a crude sense of humor.

"Am I disturbing something?" my hated hero said, coming into the room. Hearing the all too familiar voice, Skip froze what he was doing, looked at me, and very slowly moved away until he was back in the chair.

Then, and only then, we both turned to the smiling man who had entered the room and came to the rescue. He leaned at the door entrance, his arms crossed against his chest. He looked at me and then at Skip and rose a brow.

"Still waiting on an answer here," he said.

I didn't know whether I wanted to run and hug him for coming in or slapping him for being so cocky about it. I didn't know. I was just glad I was safe that all I said was, "You came."

It came out more like a whisper, more to myself than to him, but Christopher understood because he gave me a reassuring smile, and then he turned back to Skip.

"Skip, would you like to answer my question? Am I disturbing something?" He walked over to Skip, making Skip stand up. He looked at his captain directly in the eyes.

"No, Cap'n. I's just be leaving," he said, thinning his lips. He knew he got caught.

But Christopher didn't make it seem that way. Instead of yelling, he kept his smile - that bright, beautiful smile of his and said to Skip in an energetic, enthusiastic tone, "Adequate, now get to it, man I have some things I'd like to discuss with Anne."

With a quick angry glance back at me, Skip brushed past Christopher and was out the door. He knew what his fate held, and he knew that no matter where he went, no matter what he did, that fate wouldn't change.

I turned back to Christopher and gulped. I wasn't so sure what to say, so I didn't say anything. I just stared at him with hot tears running down my cheeks and a blank expression.

Christopher looked at me, his smile wavering and sat in the chair. He rested his elbows on his knees and leaned in. He didn't say anything either, and for a moment or so, we sat like that.

Then, not liking the silence, I spoke. "Thank you," I mumbled under my breath. Christopher heard me and gave me another reassuring smile.

"Don't thank me," he said a moment after.

"Why," I said. "Why shouldn't I thank you?"

He sighed. "Because I did it on purpose. I had to catch him. The crew has him now. I had some of the men wait outside the door so that I could prove he is guilty. I run my ship by showing why I'm punishing. I apologize for frightening you. Please forgive me."