19. What Merry Marry Times

"Uh, darling?"

"Mmm."

"Anne?"

"Mmm."

"Anne, wake up," Christopher commanded. I rolled to my side and opened my eyes enough to see my kidnapper a few feet away. I laid back on my stomach, closing my eyes once more.

"I saw you open your eyes, now get up." Still face down on my pillow, I flip him off.

"Piss off," I mumbled. There was a chuckle in the background and knew right now I wasn't going to win this.

"Come on; we got places to be," Christopher whined. Places to be? We've been on this ship for the past week, or was it two? I could never remember.

I turned my head once again and opened my eyes, looking at him. "We have done nothing but sail, what place do we have to be to change that?" I ask groggily. He scratched his week's worth of stubble, then placed his hands on his hips proudly.

"Darling," he said. "We are going to a grand ball."

The words hung in the air for a moment while I tried to process what he said. Then after a minute of waiting for him to say more, I sat up.

"Hilarious, now what is the real reason you woke me up?"

He rose a curious brow. "You don't believe me?" He said playfully.

Frankly, I don't believe you when you said you learned to use a gun when you were only an infant, so that would be a big fat no.

"No, as a matter of fact, I don't."

"Well," he walked to my bedside and got down on one knee, and for a moment, I could have sworn I wasn't breathing. Goosebumps crept over all over my skin when he reached for something in his trouser pocket.

And that something was a gold band.

He held it out to me, the same smug smile I knew plastered onto that godlike face of his. "Darling," he said like a voice from up above. Instantly, I sat up higher, my eyes big, and my heart, pounding.

"Marry me."

Shoot me, bury me in the ground and leave me to decompose because this is not real.

I froze speechlessly. It was like the two of us were frozen in time. I didn't know what to do or say, I just sat there staring at the little round object between my kidnapper's fingers.

"Do you believe me now?" He said with a smirk. It was like Christopher was entirely unaware of what position he was in, and what thing he was holding, and what he was asking me.

That's it! I'm losing my mind!

"Sorry, what?" I said, still staring at the ring. I couldn't keep my eyes off it.

"I said, do you believe me now?" My God, he still wanted to play games?

I had to blink several times before I could come back into reality. And when I did, I lifted my eyes to Christopher and said slyly, "What are you playing at, Captain?"

He grabbed my hand, my left one, and slipped the band onto my ring finger. He gave me a devilish smirk.

"I believe you already know, my dear."

***

I soaked in the tub for a while longer, letting the water rub off the dirt and filth that found itself on me the past few weeks. It was a miracle Christopher let me bathe in his tub.

I gazed at the wedding band on my finger. It was relatively old, but I guess it was enough to resemble my marriage. I wonder where Christopher got this treasure from this time. I hope he didn't rob it from the graves of an old couple.