32. Cara

Alex has been silent these few days. She doesn't talk much but I completely understand what's going in her head. The investigation.

Me and her are not allowed to step our feet at the campus and our workplace, again. That's another reason why Alex is being quiet. She can't do the work she loves. And for the worse, we're monitored at our own home. We can't leave this place without permission and we're being watched at some point but I don't buy that. They're just trying to scare us.

It's overreacting, I bloody know. But that's just fucking Firelock. They give too much, they protect too much and they take too much. You get the idea.

Brianna and Maeve doesn't know why we stay in our home but they keep visiting anyway. Even with Maeve's existence, Alex is still being quiet.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I hiss, as Maeve disappears to the living room. "What's up with you two?"

My best friend sighs. Her hands are still busy with sculpting scrap of metals into something I can't recognize. "And what the fuck is that you're working on?"

I walk closer to her, pushing whatever it is to the other side of her reach. "Talk to me."

She lets out another audible sound. "Fine."

Alex sits back, rubbing her forehead and adds, "We're under investigation for something that happened a year ago, which also has been told untrue. It bothers me so much, okay?"

"Lex..."

"No, Cara. You have nothing to do with this but she fucking mentioned your name. How could I not?"

I take a deep inhale and exhale, rubbing her hand slowly to calm her down. "And then why are you avoiding Maeve?"

"Because I know she knows what happened, Cara," she mutters. "Though I'm not sure if she knows about me fucking a minor but I know she saw the photo. I just don't know what to say to her."

"Come on. How do you know she knows?" I say.

"Because it isn't just me being cold here. Can't you sense her vibe?"

Yeah. I noticed some of Maeve's behaviors but I can't tell if it is because of the photo or not.

At some point, I'm sure Maeve has her disappointment towards Alex, a little at least. I mean, Alex slept with a minor. Even in Firelock it is against the law. With the fact that Alex is a part time lecturer and the girl is full-time student, the law still applies.

But as for me, I wouldn't put all the blame on Alex because clearly she didn't know that girl was seventeen. That girl also happened to slipped through the restricted bar and we didn't know how she got in but I know someone helped her.

"You know they're gonna be here often, right?" I say, leaning in front of her and she nods. "And you can't just go with the ignoring all the fucking time. You should say something."

"What am I supposed to say to her?" she glances at me. "I don't know why she keeps being here but at the same time she's giving me that attitude. I just can't walk up to her and say I'm sorry."

I let out a sharp breathe and cock my hip, looking directly at my messed up best friend. "It isn't just that, you know," she speaks again. "My whole reputation is fucking ruined and I'm gonna go to fucking jail."

"Lex..."

"Seriously. I'm all exposed and I guess they're gonna kick me out."

"Maybelline," I hiss. "You're not gonna go to jail or kick out of here, okay? You're just over thinking it."