18. Maeve

This is what I am concerned of. My first day at the campus and I don't know where else to go. Brianna said she has two exams today she couldn't take me home so here I am, left alone without friends or at least, without someone I know.

I had my admission done today and I've finished my first lecture. Turned out I am assigned as a student and a part-time lecturer for the newbies of fifteen years old. My schedule isn't fixed. Somedays I'm a student and somedays I'm a lecturer. Depends on my boss what he wants me to do.

My boss. Should I go get help from him?

No. I already said I was fine on my own.

Should I call Astrid? Absolutely not. Not her.

Uh, dear lord.

"All by yourself here?" Cara suddenly appears right in front me. Oh, thank god. "Where's Brianna?"

"She has exams," I tell her. "Thank god you're here I don't know how else I'm gonna get help."

"What? What's wrong?" Cara gives me a worry look. She has books on her arms. A lot of books.

"Um, nothing," I say. "I'm just still not familiar with the roads and all. This planet doesn't even have taxis or trains!"

Cara laughs dramatically, making me feel a bit stupid. "Come on. Come with me."

I take some of the books from Cara's arms as in return for her help. She leads me to the parking lot that is actually equipped with roofs. "How was your first day?" She asks me while we're walking.

"Um, good. Just a bit confusing." I explain to her. "You were right, there is a lot to learn. Why didn't they take me earlier when I was fifteen?" I sigh.

Again, Cara laughs. She takes out the keys from her pocket. I look to my side when the car makes a sound. Red Audi. Damn.

"Your talent came out late. That's why." She jokes. "And your potential too."

Well I don't really know what she means by that so I just shrug it off.

I help Cara load the books at the back of her car. She then tells me to get inside as soon as she starts the engine.

"Cool ride, though." I slide my fingers on the front board as I get in. Then I buckle myself with the seatbelt. "What?" I say when I caught her staring at me with a funny face.

As soon as she drives off. Then I realize what she's smiling at. Cara doesn't even fasten her seatbelt.

"You're good with rules?" she giggles when we hit the road. I just nod. "Well baby, this is Firelock. There is no police officers to charge you for not wearing seatbelts."

I run my fingers at the back of my head. "Sorry. It's kind of a habit."

"Don't apologize." She says and make a left turn. "Actually, there is a train. You just don't know about it."

"Um, where?" I pinch my eyebrows. "How come Brianna doesn't say anything about it?"

"It is built deep under the ground. Mostly the teenagers are the only ones who use them because trust me, the train is way faster than the ones at the outside world. That's just the advantages for them kids. They can wake up late knowing the trains can take them to the campus just in seconds from their home."

"Wow, that's cool." I nod, feeling amazed. "But how come adults like us don't use the train?"

"Brianna haven't tell you that? Or your boss?" I shake my head. "You're a lecturer?"

I nod. "Just a part time."

"I see. You'll be given choices of vehicles that is affordable with your given salary." I nod again. "You don't have to pick the one that is expensive in the list to look cooler," she jokes. "Trust me, every vehicle offered in this planet has the most improved engines and specifications. You just need to pick the pretty one in your eyes." She glance at me. "But affordable, of course. And why we don't take trains is that... we just don't. Better use your own vehicles than collide with kids."