Chapter 60

**************************

Distantly, I was aware that I was in a massive room filled with thousands of people. Yet somehow, I felt as if Dristan and I were the only two people in the room. The only two people in the world... My heart thundered within my chest, hammering against my ribs like a caged bird who was desperate to be freed.

Or maybe it wasn't beating at all. It was difficult to tell.

Two shimmering pools of cool, clear waters stared up at me expectantly. There was immense love within those ocean eyes. Fear, too. There was something so intimate about seeing him like this, on his knees, publicly submitting his heart to me.

The Dragon Lord... The mightiest, most powerful, most feared High Lord in all the land, was on his knees before me. He was at my mercy. I was the only one in the whole world who he would kneel before, who he would allow himself to be vulnerable to. I was the only one who could spark fear in him.

It made me feel powerful. And it was a power that I would never abuse.

I wanted to banish the fearful look in his wide, waiting eyes. I wanted to spend the rest of my life showing him that he had nothing to be afraid of. I would never harm this man, this tender, beautiful soul who trusted me with his heart.

I was his, completely, in every way possible. And he was mine. I would always love him. We belonged together, side by side, and nothing could ever change that. Not our petty arguments, not the war, not even death itself. I would literally move mountains for this man, part the seas, walk through blazing fires...

Silence stretched through the room. I was so overcome with emotion, so overcome with thoughts of how much I adored this man, that it had rendered me speechless. Dristan's eyes grew more wary as each second passed.

Finally, I found my voice.

"I will stand at your side in this life, the next, and all the ones that follow." I whispered breathlessly.

There were hushed murmurs of adoration and approval from the crowd surrounding us. It stunned me momentarily as I'd almost forgotten we weren't alone. The tension in Dristan's shoulders relaxed and his lips parted. Along with relief, there was wonderment in his eyes as he gazed up at me. He looked so vulnerable, so out of his element.

"I will marry you. I will lead the people toward a better future with you, Dristan. I will be your queen, and you, my king. We belong together." I said softly, a single tear slipping past my burning eyes.

He blinked once, and then a wide, breathtaking smile spread across his lips. I felt my own lips quirk upward in answer. Not taking his eyes off of mine, he reached forward and gently took my left hand. My smile grew, my cheeks flaming, as he then slid the dazzling diamond and sapphire ring onto my third finger.

It fit perfectly.

Thunderous applause and roaring cries of celebration erupted all around us. Dristan's dazzling white smile was contagious and I laughed with joy as he stood, scooped me into his arms and then spun me around. I squealed as my feet left the ground, but my cry of surprise was silenced as his lips crashed against mine.