Chapter 35

(WARNING! This chapter contains scenes of violence that some viewers may find upsetting. Read at your own risk.)

 ********************

Dristan had gathered a group of soldiers far more quickly than I had anticipated. In total, there were ten dragon warriors with us, as well as five high fae males that I'd never met before. All of the strangers emanated raw power. I could sense their magic, smell it, even though they weren't using it. The rancid, sweet smell of magic that always made me wrinkle my nose, was even worse now that I was in my Fae form.

I sat atop Dristan's dragon, at the crook of his long neck and spiked shoulders, as he flew through the chilly skies. Each time we passed through a misty cloud, my hair and clothes would dampen, causing me to shiver uncontrollably. I'd wanted to fly lower, to avoid the frigid temperatures, but the dragon's insisted upon staying above the clouds. We had to stay out of sight.

To my left, Andromeda and Torryn flew in their dragon forms. To my right was Warrick.

Because our destination was the northern forests, which was wolf territory, we decided to bring Sylvie and Marrok along with us. They'd gained enough of Dristan's trust that he felt confident that they wouldn't betray us.

Sylvie rode on Warrick's back, and Marrok rode on Torryn's. The wolves both looked quite uncomfortable as they clung to the horns, which protruded out of the dragon's shoulders, but they never complained. Five of the dragon warriors flew in front of us, keeping guard in case there were any threats ahead. The five Fae warriors were perched atop the other five dragon's, as they trailed behind us to defend our flanks.

If the Fae were uncomfortable, riding on the backs of dragons, they did not show it. They rode dutifully, their faces blank and backs straight. Their eyes scanned the skies around us, their attention's always on high alert.

I would've been in awe of Andi, Warrick and Torryn's dragon forms, were I not so worried for my father. Still, despite my anxiety, I couldn't help but glance to my sides now and then to stare at them.

Dristan's dragon was of solid black, with hints of silver, but he was mostly colorless. I hadn't seen such colorful dragons before. I knew that their wings had been lovely, but I hadn't been prepared for the sight of their dragons.

Millions of glittering, purple scales, shimmered like diamonds all over Warrick's body. The scales themselves were the darkest shade of purple, like the skin of sweet, summer time plums. But when the sunlight hit them in just the right way, I realized that they were packed with every shade of purple that could possibly exist. I'd even catch glimpses of other colors when the sun glinted off of them at the perfect angle. Brief flashes of green, yellow, and orange seemed to appear in a split second with each roll of his muscles, but they'd be instantly replaced with purple again as the light shifted over them. He was absolutely stunning. A graceful, soaring body of living, glimmering amethyst.