Chapter 53

*************************

As Dristan's dragon hit the ground, the feet of the other dragons thundered behind us as they landed. It echoed through the sleepy forest, causing flocks of birds to scream and flee from the treetops. The eerie silence that followed was unsettling, sending chills across my skin.

I slid off of Dristan's back, watching over my shoulder as Marrok and Ronan slid off of Andi and Torryn. Warrick would've had Sylvie riding on his back, had he not encouraged her not to come with us. She was determined to come, to support us with as much back up as we might need, but he'd refused. He and Dristan had argued about the subject for nearly an hour before we finally left the Aviary.

Warrick's argument was that too many of us would be seen as more of a threat to the Kadoma. He seemed to believe that a smaller group was the right plan, so that we could stay closely knit and more organized as a unit.

We all knew his real reasoning, though none of us commented on it. It was obvious that he cared for Sylvie and did not want to put her at risk. I suspected that if it were a different opponent that we were up against, one less horrific than the Kadoma, he would not have left her behind.

The three of us stepped away, backing toward the trees, as the four dragon's began to glow with golden light. When Dristan, Andromeda, Torryn and Warrick emerged from the light in their natural forms, they each removed their camouflage rune necklaces and tossed them to Ronan. He promptly placed them inside of his leather satchel.

I stepped forward. "We walk from here, then?"

"Yes. It is better to approach quietly and without being seen." Dristan answered, coming to my side.

Warrick stretched his wings behind him, grimacing slightly. It had been a long flight... I hoped he was not in too much pain. "Without being seen? We have the camouflage runes. Why not just fly all the way there?" He asked.

"The sylphs could see past the runes. They did not work on their eyes. Luckily, the Sylphs were not interested in harming us. If we risk the camouflage runes with the Kadoma, I do not think we would be so lucky a second time." Dristan answered.

"Hmm." Warrick grunted, cracking his neck from side to side. "I see your point."

"Let's get going. Nightfall is only a few hours off." Torryn said, turning from the group to lead the way. "Keep your wits about you. Stay alert. You never know what could be out in these woods..."

I glanced around, my eyes searching between the twisted trees and vines as I drew my dagger from the sheath strapped to my thigh. I felt more at east having it gripped in my fist as we walked through the tangled underbrush.

"How long is the hike to the Black Forest?" I asked quietly, keeping close to my mate's side.

"An hour, give or take a few minutes." Torryn answered from ahead.