Chapter 41

********************

As soon as we'd walked into our rooms, my anxiety began to skyrocket. Dristan hadn't spoken, or even looked at me, since we'd left the tombs. I couldn't recall a time when he had avoided my gaze for such a prolonged amount of time.

Immediately upon entering, he stalked toward the balcony and hastily pulled the double doors open. He stood with his back to me, each of his hands on either side of the door frame, with his head lowered. I watched his shoulders rise as fall as he inhaled deeply. I waited for him to say something, afraid to even move.

Why was he so upset? Sure, I'd been injured, but I'd healed quickly. I was not human. I did not need to worry about the risk of death, unless I were up against a weapon like Dristan's. What I had done had not been wise, but I had saved Sylvie's life in the process. Was that so bad?

Finally, he spoke.

"Go take a shower and get rid of those clothes." He said, his voice ghostly.

My eyes narrowed at his back. "Why?"

His head lowered. " The scent of your blood is only fueling my anger. It will be easier for me to get a grip on my Dragon if you aren't reeking of blood."

My mouth popped open. "O-oh... Right, of course..."

I stood there, guilt pooling within me, as I studied the rigidness of his body. He was so tense, I thought that the door frame might break beneath his hands. I sometimes failed to consider his beastly nature. I didn't take into consideration the effect that my actions might have on his dragon.

Hesitantly, I reached down the bond, trying to feel out his emotional state. As my mind's metaphorical fingers gently brushed against the edges of his subconscious, I immediately winced. The emotion there was so strong that it nearly took the breath out of me.

Rage.
Confusion.
Hurt.
Frustration.
The strength of these emotions blindsided me.

But more than that, it was the presence that I felt in his subconscious that struck a chord in me. Feral, ferocious, intense. The emotions that I was detecting were not truly his...

They were his dragon's.

What must it be like, to constantly share emotion with his beast? What must it be like, to feel emotions so strongly, knowing that they are irrational, knowing that the emotions aren't really your own, and yet being able to do nothing about it?

"Brenya!" He snapped suddenly.

I jumped at his strict tone, before darting out of the room and into one of the massive washrooms.

**************

(Dristan's POV)