Chapter 14

Max

The next day after that scene with Nik, I head to work. On my way to work, I get a call from my old nanny Adeline, she was like a mother to me. I wish I could see her more often, but if grandfather found out,it wouldn't end well.

"Hi nanny, I miss you" I say

"I miss you too, when will I see you" she says

"You don't have to ask nanny, you can come to the clinic or home anytime" I tell

"How are you Max?" She asks

"I'm fine nanny" I reply

"Really?, seems something is bothering you" she says

"No nanny,I'm fine, please come see me, we can go for dinner or something, I miss talking to you" I say

"I'll find a day and come, take care of yourself " she says.

At work, i go in through the reception area to go to my office. I notice everyone looking at me and whispering.

What could be going on? I wonder as I go to my office. I check the files on my desk and go through the reports about the animals we have in care and appointments for today. So, today there was a final check up for an injured puppy last week and others had monthly checkups.
I file that away and grab my chart to do the rounds. I go in the back where we keep the animals as I check on them.
I feel peaceful here, doing what I've always wanted. I close my eyes and take in a deep breathe.

My phone ringing startles me out of my thoughts as i pick it up.

"Doctor, your lawyer needs to see you right now" the receptionist says

Okay, today was turning out to be a weird day. First the weird looks and whispering from my staff and now my lawyer!
I hurry to my office and he gets up to shake my hand as I go around to my desk and sit down.

"What a surprise seeing you here today" I say

"Actually, I have excellent news for you, it will make your day" he says putting his briefcase on the table and selecting some papers.

"What news? I ask as he arranges the papers.

" I received the papers today, duly signed from Nik Starlinksy, he signed the divorce papers and said he will not contest the divorce, he is willing to pay any settlement requested" the lawyer says beaming

"He what? He signed? He really signed?" I ask shocked

"Yes, as soon as you sign,it will be over" the lawyer says not understanding my reaction

"Can I see them?" I ask

"Of course" the lawyer says handing them over to me as I look them over and yap, that's his signature alright.

"Can I hold on to them?" I ask.
He actually signed them, I didn't think he would considering he first refused to the first time.

"Yes, you can give me a call when you sign, I'll send my assistant over to pick them" he says

"Why? Can't I just mail them?" I ask wondering why he would say that!

"Nick requested we handle this discreetly, he doesn't want it getting out to the media" he says excusing himself.
I nod my head in understanding as I escort him to the door.
I drop the papers in my brief case as I flop back down in my seat.
What a way to start the day!

I go to the general reception area and find my staff whispering about, again?
Okay, I am going to find out what was going on, I was tired of the intrigue.
I walk over to them and they don't even notice me!