1.31

"We'll be back in a couple days, alright?" Maria yelled as Antonio dragged her to the car. "Don't worry about a thing, Sophie! I have a whole binder dedicated to my mate ceremony, I'll show you the whole thing!"

Sophie laughed and continuously waved at Maria as she got further and further away. "Bring Cortez's baby pictures too!" She yelled back.

"Sophie!" Cortez exclaimed.

"And Miguel's!" Maria held up two thumbs up and Sophie excitedly clapped.

"No, no, no! Ma, don't!" Miguel hollered as he stepped up beside Sophie.

Maria simply put her hands to her mouth and blew a handful of kisses at her sons and daughter in law. Sophie smiled and waved as Maria and Antonio hopped into a black car. Miguel groaned in annoyance and trudged back into the house. Their parents didn't visit all that often but he figured, now that Sophie was here, he'd have to see them all the time.

"Hey, Alpha." Jeremiah's voice caused Sophie and Cortez to turn back to the house. Sophie could see Miguel jogging through the house behind Jeremiah. "You've got a couple messages on your phone. It keeps going off."

Cortez patted down his jean pockets in search for his phone. He had forgotten he even had one with all that was going on. That's probably why he had so many messages. Which, unfortunately, meant it was time for him to get back to work. He didn't want to leave Sophie's side but with work, he didn't really have a choice. But he wondered what she would do all day in the pack house.

"I should get to work, baby." Cortez's hands rested gently on Sophie's waist as he placed a kiss on her forehead. "I'll be in my office if you need anything."

"Okay.." Sophie breathed as she felt Cortez's hands slip away from her.

Sophie suddenly realized this was going to be her life now and it felt surreal. Breakfast with Cortez's parents and Miguel, Jeremiah pulling him away for work, Sophie walking through this pack house as if it were her own. It sounded nice. It sounded simple. Sophie liked simple, now more than ever. All she had to do was get accustomed to this lifestyle and it would all become comfortable and normal.

But she couldn't do that without cleaning up her past first.

"Uh, Jeremiah!" Sophie called as she stepped back into the house. The two boys turned, Cortez's eyebrows furrowed as he wondered why Sophie would call for Jeremiah and not her mate. "Do you know where I can find Delilah? I want to go see if there is anything worth salvaging at my house before they tear it down or it falls apart or anything."

"I can do that with you when I'm done with work." Cortez blurted.

"Well, I figured I should do it now since I don't have much else to do. I don't want to wait around for you to be done."

"It won't take long, really."

"No, Cortez. It's fine." Sophie chuckled. "I'll just take Delilah and see if there is anything left. And maybe a couple Warriors incase those rogues are there or nearby or anything."

Cortez and Jeremiah exchanged glances, their expressions awkward and forced back. Cortez spoke up first. "You don't have to worry about the rogues, Sophie. They're dealt with. For now, you're safe."

"Dealt with?" Sophie questioned, her tone slightly cold. She wanted to know what that meant and why it was used in future tense. "Are you hunting them down? Do you plan on catching them?"

Cortez was reluctant to answer. "They've been caught. It's just not the right time."

"Not the right time for what?" Sophie demanded.