1.10

"This apartment is the soonest available for Henry if he chooses to stay here with us." Margaret, one of the in-home nurses said as she unlocked the door to said apartment.

As the door swung open, Sophie instinctively held her breath. Henry was eager to go inside, dragging Sophie in as well. She looked around at the empty space and let out her held breath. It was small but very open. There was a small kitchen to their immediate left, a space for a dining table, and then the rest of the apartment was open space for the living room. A small hallway to the right led to a bedroom and bathroom.

Henry made his way to the window in the living room with Margaret as Sophie scoped out the place. The bedroom wasn't all that big but it wasn't bad. She couldn't imagine he'd fit his chair and bookcase in it like at home. But to be fair, the living room was a good size for all that stuff. Still, Sophie couldn't help but be on the fence. It just didn't seem like enough. Even the walls made her upset. They were plain white and boring.

"I already informed your grandfather," Margaret pulled in Sophie's attention as she reappeared from the bedroom. "But you don't need to worry about getting lonely. We have nurses coming in regularly, volunteers that read to those living here, and we always encourage our residence to interact on the main floor where we have a tv, puzzles, beautiful birds, and special events almost every night."

Sophie nodded, not having much to say to that. She wasn't worried about her grandfather being lonely. Whenever she asked him if he was after getting home from school, he always claimed he liked the peace and quiet. He liked when the world was still and he didn't have to worry about a thing. She knew he would be fine in a small apartment like this. That wasn't what bothered her.

Selfishly, she was worried about herself. Her grandfather may be fine living on his own but she sure wasn't. She couldn't live in that house all by herself. Sure, Daisy would have to stay with her, but that wasn't enough company. Daisy wasn't good with conversation. It would be a waste to live in that hour because Sophie would be visiting her everyday anyways.

Unfortunately, this place only took in those that needed help. Families weren't allowed to move in. This place was meant to move a disabled family member out of the house to make it easier on the others. They did accept visitors from six in the morning to ten at night, which Sophie planned on taking advantage of. Still, she didn't like imagine going home at night to silence and darkness.

"Do you like it?" Sophie asked her grandfather. "There isn't much room. You have a lot of books. Where are you going to put them all? And the kitchen is tiny."

"Oh, don't worry about the kitchen. We host breakfast and dinner every evening. He won't need much in the kitchen." Margaret smiled, oblivious to Sophie's restrained anger.

"You'll have to keep some of my books then. If I request a certain book from home, you can bring it over and exchange it for one I've read so it doesn't get crowded. Right, darlin'?" Henry grinned happily at his granddaughter.

Sophie tried her best to force a smile but it just wouldn't work. "Sure, Chief. I would do that for you. But not for a couple more months."

"Months?" Henry exclaimed.

"It's almost summer break!" Sophie whined. "Stay for summer break or I'll be lonely and bored in that house all by myself. You can ditch me when I'm a senior and get a job. I'll be busy then."

"So you want me to stay for your sake?" Henry knowing smirked.

Sophie pouted as she let her eyes bounce around the room. "Maybe... But I'll take extra good care of you until the school year starts again!"

"Let's compromise. I'll move in here halfway through summer break so you can get used to living alone and I can get into the apartment before someone else rents it." Henry said.