0.8

Chapter 8: Allies and Enemies

"Jesus, what'd you do to him," Leah couldn't keep her eyes off the blonde man the following morning.  Amaya had taken the moment to formally introduce him to the rest of the pack, all of them acting like hardasses until finally they broke off and started playing around with each other.

Sam was angry at first, finding out that Amaya had spilled the beans about their secret but he quickly recovered after hearing that he was Leah's imprint—not that Jackson was aware of that yet. "I didn't think it looked that bad."

"It doesn't," Leah bashfully admits. "He looks beautiful."

Amaya watched how Leah followed his every move, her brown eyes twinkling as she saw him laughing with the boys. They were all playing in the sand, some kicking around a soccer ball while Jax was teaching Seth how to do some of the boxing moves he'd learned while street fighting. "Have you told him?"

"Of course not, for God sakes Maya, I just met the man. I don't want to send him away."

"He's not that kind of person, but yeah you should definitely take him out on a date first."

"Me?"

The blonde nodded, her blonde hair flowing freely while Leah had hers in a braid. "Yeah, he's into cheesy stuff like that."

Leah Clearwater nodded a little before she took in a deep breath. "Jackson," She yelled, catching his attention from her little brother who was trapped in a headlock. "You free tonight?"

"For you? I can be."

"I'll pick you up from Maya's at six."

He gave her a cheeky grin and a wink. "I'll be waiting for you, gorgeous."

Leah turned a Amaya, her back to the man as she came down from her adrenaline high from just talking to him. "Shit, is he still looking? I can't believe I just did that."

Amaya burst out in a fit of laughter, the pack wolf whistling at the two and giving Jackson a playful pat on the back. "It was ballsy, I'm proud of you."

The day continued as planned, everyone filing out and Leah leaving hours later to pick up Jax from the blonde's house where he'd went to change and clean up. It was barely past eight when Amaya heard knocking on her front door, her guard coming up knowing she wasn't expecting anyone. "Maya, its me," Paul's deep voice called through the wooden door.

"You scared me," She replied breathlessly, opening the door and letting the shirtless man inside. "Did something happen with Jax and Leah?"

"No, they're fine. Can't say the same about Bella seeing as she's pregnant and all."

Amaya froze, the news of the dangerous fetus coming out into play. "How do you guys know about that?"

Paul's whole being tensed, brown eyes shifting over to take in the blonde girls words. "You knew about this?"

"I saw it the other day but I didn't think it was any of my business so I didn't say anything. Carlisle said he was handling it and it wasn't like Bella was going to just kill her baby."

"You're talking to them now too? After everything they did to you."

Amaya brows furrowed, her petite frame stepping closer to Paul not even bothering to pay attention to his violent shaking the angrier he got. "Are you kidding me? You think you have to remind me about what they did to me? I didn't go over there so I could see that little bitch knocked up with the devils child, I went there so I could get information on how to terminate an imprint."

Paul's shaking stopped, his angry facial expression smoothing out into something much softer. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"Because of this, I don't want your pity and I definitely don't want you telling me who I should and shouldn't be going to for help no matter what I needed."

"The imprint is a tricky thing, there's nothing we can do to control it. If we'd have known it was effecting you this badly then you should've told us, the pack could talk some sense into Jacob."

Amaya shook her head in denial, stepping back so they could have distance between them. "None of you are listening to me when I talk about it, Jacob can do what he wants wasting his life away for a girl who couldn't even bother giving him the time of day. I was made for him and I feel things for him that I don't want to feel. Everything feels good when he's around until the second he opens his mouth and speaks her name."

"Amaya—"

"I'm fine, I can take it."

"No, you can't!"

Tears welled up in her eyes, her body turning so her back was to him. "I don't know what else you want me to do, Paul. I'm doing everything I can to be strong and get through this, be happy, but my body is telling me to love him while my brain knows it will never happen."

"I—"

"Is there a point to your visit besides telling me something I already know. Bella's going to die because of that thing and I'll have to stay here and listen to my imprint wallow in his own self-pity and anger because the love of his life is dead."

Paul made a move to answer but his head twisted to the sound, his enhanced hearing picking up on the howl that signaled all of the others to come forth. Without another word, he was outside and phased, a howl being sent back to the others and after giving the blonde one final glance, he was off leaving her to herself.

Amaya ran to her car, following Paul as quickly as she could but clearly she took longer than intended. The pack was already phased back, their cut off shorts on. "What the hell happened?"

"Jake left the pack," Seth softly speaks up, the others giving him a harsh look, making the youngest shifter recoil.

"What?"

"Sam made the order we get rid of the kid, it's too dangerous."

Amaya slowly pieced everything together. "You guys have to kill her, don't you?"

"We have a duty to keep the pack safe, keeping the humans safe and this thing could compromise everything we've worked hard to keep"

The others looked at her expectantly, her shouldering coming up in a shrug. "What?"

"Are you on our side or there's?"