0.1

Chapter 0

Chapter 0.1: Are You Ready?

Amaya Hill's car could be heard from outside of the small home Sam Uley and Emily lived in, the entire pack flying out when they heard the engine cut off. "Look who's back," Embry called out loudly, pushing past the others to make it to the blonde.

She looked different, her head held high and it was clear that she'd taken up a gym membership because the light abs she had on display definitely weren't there before. "In the flesh." Her arms wrapped around each other then, Embry first then Quil and Jared, Paul then Sam and finally Seth.

Amaya got to the end, the familiar face bursting through the house and running at her so quickly she barely had time to catch Leah in for the tight hug that they both shared. "How was it in Chicago?"

"Surreal," The blonde gushed, pulling back from the embrace. "The people were so rich, Leah, you'd love it there. Everyone's got spunk and can handle a little attitude, I even have an admirer."

"Found you a mister?"

Hoots and hollers shuffled all through the boys, none of them bothering to bring up a piece of the past, the lingering imprint that would surely bite her in the ass but Amaya didn't care right now, she was happy and nothing could ruin it. "It's not like that, Jax and I are just a bit of fun."

"Jax?" Sam gruffed out, his bare chest flexing as he crossed his arms over it. "What kind of name is that?"

"Jackson," She corrected, her blonde hair a little shorter, more edgy and her style had changed significantly. The petite woman wearing skin tight light wash jeans with heeled boots and a black camisole that showed a tease of a tattoo sticking out the bottom. "He's a bit of trouble, but I guess I've always had a bit of a thing for that bad boys."

A playful smile was exchanged between Paul and Amaya, the two now able to joke about their past without worrying about being tense or awkward. Both of them had come to pass with his imprinting that ended their relationship, it was for the greater good and Amaya was happy for him and Rachael.

"How much trouble?"

"He's a tattoo artist and mechanic," They waited for her to finish, the look on her face showing that she clearly was holding out on something. "—and he may or may not be into street fights."

"Oh, come on."

"Trust me, they're really fun and the money's great."

Faces morphed for a moment as they realized what she'd said. "You telling me you've participated in one of these little events?"

Amaya nodded confidently, lifting her shirt a tad and showing off the tattoo Jackson had been proud to ink on her virgin skin. On her hip we're tally marks, fifteen of them etched onto her skin. "I get a new tally after each win."

Instead of the answer she'd expected, laughter filled the space in front of the small red home. "Don't think just because you could throw down some women a couple pounds heavier than you that you can start fights will all the guys now."

"Women?" Amaya's voice hitched up in question as she repeated the words Jared spoke. "I didn't fight females."

"Men? You bodied fifteen men and you're still walking into La Push without so much as a bruise on you?"

The blonde shrugged, a bright smile on her face. "I learned from the best, Cameron, I know how to fight someone without them being able to leave a mark." The fight talk died down with a couple laughs and promises of taking her on to test her new moves. "So how's everything been, vampire wise?"

"Crystal clear since the fight."

"Where is he?"

They didn't need a name, he was the only face that wasn't around and it wasn't exactly an avoidable subject. "Got an invitation this morning to Edward and Bella's wedding, ran off. Boys chased him to the canadian boarder to make sure he was safe and we left him so he could work out his issues. The imprint really took a toll on him when you left."

"His problem, Sam, not mine. He made his choice."

"Wasn't defending him, kid. I'm just glad you're back, we all missed seeing your face around here."

Maya smiled at him, it not reaching as far as before.  "Well, I'll be around for a little while. Got to let you in on something though, something I picked up on while I was in Chicago."

"What's that?"

"I think it's evident I'm not the same girl I was a few months ago, Sam. Not as soft, not as angry. I won't take any crap anymore, I'm going to take care of myself this time around, put myself first before some people."

Leah chucked from beside her best friend, rolling her brown eyes. "We get it, Chicago made you selfish."