Chapter 31

The secrets were finally spilled. All the Dandelion System contestants were sent back to their families, or, in Annabelle's case, to a temporary residence. News spread throughout the kingdom, of the mentally unstable Queen, news of the deaths of Tristesse, Lorna, and Priscilla, and news of Prince Otto's imprisonment. The only thing that the public didn't know yet was the death of a certain boy from twelve years ago.

I was to go home, but I wanted to visit Otto and Oscar one last time. I packed my trunk and had it sent back first. My room in the castle was now bare as it once was. I could no longer walk through the Grey Castle without thinking of that night.

I left the castle and wandered around the palace grounds, now almost perfectly empty, with all the important officials as well as Oda, the leader now, in a meeting in the conference hall, as they are every moment expect for sleeping and dining. But before I left, I wanted to see one place one last time.

Oscar's room.

I opened the door to the accursed room before cautiously stepping into the dark, then reached for the curtains and casted it open. When the light streamed in, I felt a sense of melancholy for the huge room I didn't feel last time when it was clothed in moonlight. In the sunlight I could see how faded everything was, the once white sheets yellowing and hanging like funeral palls over every piece of furniture, the walls devoid of any painting and the marble ground empty without ornate carpets.

I closed the curtains again, and decided to go to the tower. Once below the tower I peered up at the window to see if Otto or Oscar was inside, but it was dark. The door were now unlocked, so I opened it and walked up the winding stairs slowly. Before the door to their room my heart beat loudly.

I had wanted to see him so much, but I never knew until now.

I opened it.

"Karlina!"

At the sound, the voice I recognized and knew was his, I broke down. He took a few steps before I ran to his arms.

"Oscar! Oscar!"

I buried my face in his chest and tears fall without my control. I hadn't even cried that night. I hadn't even realized how scared I was.

I never showed my weak side—I never allowed it to show.

Not in front of Catalina, who I always tried to protect after the incident, nor Oda, nor Aideen, and less so Oriana and Annabel, who I promised to save.

But truth was I've always wanted someone to protect me.

"I was so scared," I whispered. "That night, I was so scared. And ever since then, I've felt so empty, so lost. In the castle, at home—I feel so sad."

He held my trembling shoulders and looked at me. His hair was long now. He had his hair cut in autumn and now it was spring. It fell in front of his eyes and through it his blue irises looked at me.

"It's all right to be scared, Karlina. You've been brave for a long time." I laughed and shook my head.

"No, I haven't. When I first met you, I remember how scared I was. Isn't that funny?"

"I remembered." He wiped away my tears. I always cried when I was with him. "I'm sorry for scaring you." I shook my head.

"It's in the past. It doesn't matter. Everything is over." I clutched at his hands again. "Tell me, will you be able to stay in Otto's body now? Queen Sonota can't do anything anymore. You can leave the castle, I'm sure, we can have Oda arrange something. She understands you."

He froze.

"Oscar?" My heart fell. "What's wrong?" He shook his head slowly.

"Oda has really changed! I'll talk to her!" I argued.