Chapter 24

The next day the rumors started.

The Dandelion System isn't a competition for the prince at all—it's a competition to see who survives till the end!

Karina Dearcage would do anything to win and that's why she killed Tristesse Roncesvalles!

They should just lock her up already!

Who's next—who's next?

If it weren't for the Princess's support behind the scenes, I would have perished by now.

All the eyes were staring—or glaring, at me during breakfast. Walking through the hallways and dorms made everyone recoil in horror like I had a disease. Aideen tried to comfort me, but she was equally shunned. Also, I didn't know how to act towards her after witnessing her breakdown.

Oriana and Annabelle both assured me they knew I am innocent, but it didn't make me feel any better. I only felt dirty, like by standing near them and talking to them, the blood everyone painted on me would also spread to them. I didn't want them to be tainted like me.

"I know it's not you, Karina!" Oriana told me after breakfast. She took a step towards me, but I took one back almost immediately.

"No, you have to stay away," I said before I turned away.

"Karina, you've been set up—it's not fair! They all knew something happened to Lady Tristesse when she went missing!" Annabelle declared. I wanted to thank them, tell them how grateful I was to hear their words—but I knew that wasn't how I should repay them.

I didn't look back as I muttered, "I suggest you two stay away."

Today it was Sunday again, and Oda had told me yesterday night that this time the Queen was visiting us during dinner. I had almost forgot about the meetings.

"Don't be worried," Oda had tried to soothe me like everyone else, but also failing piteously. "My Mother isn't so quick to believe in rumors."

I thought of Garnett and Lorna, already twisting facts to make me seem like the perpetrator, and their widespread influence and ability to communicate with the Queen so well.

"You've been coming to my room a lot as of now," I said instead. "It'll be any day now that both of us—three if you include Aideen—get arrested for suspicious behavior." I wondered if anyone knew about Aideen going to her room last time.

"Don't fret, I'll never get caught and we will win the Dandelion System. Together." Her overconfident words didn't bring me any relief. Especially since I was still thinking of betraying her if it meant Oscar would have a better life. I spent the rest of the night unable to sleep because of the sight of Tristesse's body and in fear of the murderer.

I heard a knock at the door, surprising me.

"Who is is?" I ask, hoping it want the Royal Guards or Oriana and Annabelle.

"It's me," came Aideen's soft voice. I sighed, relieved.

"Come in."

She opened the door and stepped in timidly. "It's time for dinner. Should I help you change?"

"No, it's fine. I will go down alone. You should go too." Aideen winced at my cold words.

"Yes, I will." Aideen doesn't move for a moment. "Please don't pay mind to the rumors—"

"I know, it's fine. Please go."

With her head down, she finally leaves.

I opened my wardrobe and choose a dress even duller than the one I wore when I had breakfast with the Queen. It is black, like what Tristesse always wore, but without her trademark black veil. The reflection I see in my mirror scares me for a moment because it felt as though Tristesse was the one staring back at me.