Chapter 25

Tristesse was not the only one. Lorna Heathcote-Stone was killed Sunday night.

Garnett Valliere went mad after seeing her friend's body when she went to her bedroom. Garnett and Lorna were no longer suspects.

Ten Dandelion System contestants asked to drop out by the next morning.

I was no longer suspected, too, but I was lost. I had no idea what to do next.

Without telling Aideen, Oda, Oriana, or Annabelle, I threw a thick and heavy cloak over my dress and went outside.

It was snowing, great white flakes like dandelion seeds touched my skin and I am reminded that it's winter and a season had already passed.

In autumn, I met Oda and Aideen. In autumn, I got sick. In autumn, I met Otto and Oscar.

In autumn, I was naive. I thought the princess was rude, but not that she would drag me into such chaos. I thought the prince was strange, but not that he shares a body with the soul of his long-gone twin. I thought the Dandelion System was just—the Dandelion System.

I never thought I'd fall in love with someone. I didn't know that The Dandelion System contestants would be killed. I didn't know I would be so calm whilst knowing this.

I looked at the tower, Otto's tower, the black contrasting against the white sky and white trees and white snow. I wonder how Otto and Oscar feel being trapped in the tower. In stories, it was always a princess who was locked in the tower. In stories, they were always rescued.

When I opened the door to Otto's room, I felt ashamed for hoping that it is Oscar.

I am even more ashamed when I realize it is.

"Oscar."

He sat on Otto's bed with his face in his hands and back bent wearily. When he heard me he turned his face. His brow was pressed together, and his lips are set into a thin line. He looked defeated.

Only he can wear such an expression.

"It's snowing outside," I whispered.

"I know." His replies are sure and short, but I don't care. It's enough.

"Would you care to take a walk with me?" I asked. He didn't answer. I was about to give up hope but he stood up, his bed creaking from the loss of weight, and walked to me. I stepped out of the room, and he followed.

We continued silently down the stairs and outside, the snow now a thick layer of white on the ground. White like Otto and Oda's skin and hair. Winter, I realize, suits them. Oda, Otto, and Oscar. The three siblings who hurt each other more than anyone.

"Karlina."

My eyes widened when I heard him say my name. He knew my name. My real name.

"How did you know?" I asked. He tried to smile, but the muscles in his face seem too tired of even that.

"I saw the list of names that day. Your name isn't Karina, it's Karlina. Oda made you change it, right?" I tried to keep the tears from escaping, but it does anyways. I laughed, white clouds billowing out mouth.

"Yes," I said. "Now that I think of it you do see and know everything."

"Ever since the day I died, I was here, sharing this body with my twin, but only a few seasons ago have I been able to control it," he told me, giving up on the smile. "He's not trying anymore."

I didn't know what he meant, but I sensed that there was a change. 

"You know, Karlina," Oscar said, "Otto is terrible at playing at flute."