Chapter 18

I woke up to an empty room. Oscar wasn't there, but a familiar coat lined with silver thread was thrown over my me. I picked it up. It smelled faintly of tea.

The curtains had been closed again, but a bit of sunlight streamed through. When I pulled apart the heavy curtains, I'm greeted by the sky, already a light grey. It was morning. I wondered who left, Oscar or Otto?

I creaked open the doors to find the hallway empty too. The guards must not have been trying very hard to find him if a night had passed without me being found. Or like Oscar said, they can't enter this room no matter what. If so, they knew he was inside the room.

I closed the door behind me and walked down the staircase. At the hallway in front of the dining room I see a familiar silhouette.

"Karina!" Aideen gasped. "I finally found you!"

"Yes. Don't worry, I'm safe, Aideen." She was visibly worn out; her eyes were bloodshot and she was swaying feebly. "Were you searching for me this whole time?"

"Yes. Where were you? I heard you ran out during dinner when Otto became 'Oscar'."

"Don't worry, Oscar wasn't violent—I think of the Queen's injury on her face, "—when we were alone. We spoke." My voice drifted away.

"I'm glad you are fine."

"Yes. Let's return to the dorms so you can sleep."

"Yes, please. And do see princess Oda; she's waiting for you in your room." She smiled as she says this. "She was just as worried."

After bringing Aideen to her bed, I entered my dark room to see Oda sitting in front of my mirror.

"There you are!" she exclaimed, sprinting up. Her hair was loose for once, dangling to her hips. No wonder she always had it in fancy coiffures—as expected of the royalty who didn't have to work and worry about their hair getting tangled. She was in a simpler dark dress with a deep vermillion shawl thrown over her. From a distance, you would've thought she was a ghost.

"You were waiting for me?" I asked, gently guiding her to sit back down. Maybe I wasn't just a pawn to her.

"Of course not—well, yes. I was just afraid Oscar hurt or did something you." I remembered what Oscar said.

"And if he did?" She grimaced, but didn't say anything.

"You should go to sleep now," I recommended instead.

"I can't sleep until I hear what happened last night!" She glared at me. I sighed. Of course.

"We talked and then I slept on the couch. When I woke up, he wasn't there."

"We? Who is 'we'? Oscar or Otto? And what couch?"

"I spoke with Oscar. It's so strange how someone dead can speak like they are still alive." I let my hair loose too and threaded my fingers between the tangles. "We were in Oscar's room."

"His room?" Oda echoed in confusion.

"The room he was was locked in," I muttered. "When he was still alive."

"Oh." I looked at her face at the mirror. It held no signs of guilt.

She didn't acknowledge he was locked up. She won't acknowledge Oscar. I glowered at her silently. She noticed and her jaw tensed.

"He was locked up in there when he got the disease," I said, turning to face her.

"I know—"

"You didn't tell me! That—" I dropped my voice, "—the King and Queen locked their own son up!"