Chapter 11

"You look lovely!" Annabelle praised me the next morning.

"Thank you, but you look far lovelier." It wasn't a lie, either.

She was dressed even fancier than usual, if such a thing is possible. Her dress is pink, with golden lining and pinned sleeves. Her waist looks even thinner with her crinoline, the widest I have ever seen, and long white gloves with golden embroidery of flowers.

"Oh, thank you!"

"Your dresses are always so beautifully elaborate."

"Oh, these? My mother back in my home country sends me these gowns," she touched the lace on the dress. "She loves dressing me up despite our distance." She chuckled, as if remembering a fond memory.

"That's a wonderful mother. So what would you like to do today?"

"Do you want to take a stroll around the forests?"

"Sure," I replied, hiding my surprise that was is walking in the mud with such a memorable dress. She took no heed, instead walking casually into the trees, leaves an array of red, orange, and brown. 

"Do you like flowers?" she asked suddenly, scanning the ground.

"Yes, my sister, Catalina, is a talented gardener. She would grow the prettiest lilies."

"Oh, lilies! What is your favorite flower?"

"I do not have one. Which flower do you like?"

"Daisies." Her answer surprises me once more; I expected such a high-borne beauty to like roses or other grandeur flowers.

"Their simplicity is calming, and they remind me of the sun."

"I suppose they do look quite pretty."

Suddenly, Annabelle turned to face the sky. She smiled, yet her eyes look sad—no, melancholic.

"I love wildflowers the most, they grow free and seem to shine more through the weed and grass," she whispered, looking into the blue, cloudy sky. "Unlike me."

I didn't know how to respond. I never imagined her to be someone who speaks that way.

"Is it hard to leave your home country?" I asked instead, unsure of how to reply. She laughed politely at my question, probably sensing the awkwardness.

"Of course not. Ever since coming to Taraxac, I've had more freedom, and the people here are so much nicer. I've learned a lot being here." Her gaze, reflecting the blue sky, was thoughtful like her words—which seemed to speak of something I couldn't understand.

"Why, good morning," a voice called out. I turned to see Oda, right behind us. She was wearing a wide-brimmed hat and a gown with long sleeves. I remembered she had albinism and needed protection from the sunlight. However, I didn't expect the princess to be someone who took walks, especially on an ordinary autumn day.

"Your Highness!" Annabelle gasped, curtsying. I took her lead, causing Oda to smirk. For the first time, I realizes how casual I always acted around with her, failing to treat her like the royalty she is.

"Please call me Princess Oda. If I remember correctly, are you two Lady Annabelle and Lady Karina?" Princess Oda's acting was surprisingly good. Both Annabelle and I nodded.

"Yes, Princess Oda."

"I'm pleased to meet you here, Princess Oda. If you don't mind me asking, where are you headed to?" Annabelle conversed with ease. Was it a result of her being in a higher class?