Chapter 12

A while later Annabelle and I returned to the castle for dinner. We changed into evening dresses and then met downstairs in the dining hall where Oriana was.

"What are they doing?" Oriana wondered as she down in the seat next to me, pursing her lips in confusion. Royal Guards had spread into the dining room the second supper ended and were now standing in each corner.

"I wonder too," I lied, earning a giggle from Annabelle, who sat on the seat to my other side. I couldn't tell Oriana that the seeds were scattered today; it was a secret Oda had personally told us. After a moment of silence, I remembered they don't know each other.

"Oriana, meet Annabelle du Cendre. Annabelle, meet Oriana Miller," I introduced.

"It's a pleasure meeting you," Oriana said, holding her hand out for a handshake, Annabelle accepted nervously, not taking off her gloves.

"You too."

A moment later Oda entered the ballroom. Instantly, everyone hushed and stared at her. She was dressed up elaborately, her hair braided into a bun held back by silver pins. She wore a dark blue dress with puffed sleeves and a lace collar.

She walked up calmly into the stage, usually reserved for the orchestra, and stared into my eyes for a short second before looking at the audience.

"Contestants of The Dandelion System. As many of you know, I am Princess Oda, the younger sister of Prince Otto. Today we have an announcement to make; The Dandelion System has officially begun." A few bold maidens started talking, earning angry stares.  

"The number of seeds is a secret, and thus no one will know when all of them are collected. Within two months, contestants must look for the seeds. When the time is up, the maiden with the most seeds is the victor of The Dandelion System, and will be awarded the position of Prince Otto's fiancé and future queen." 

Her cold blue eyes caught mine once more before flickering into others. Her voice was hypnotizing and emotionless, and soon her speech ended.

"I shall look forward to seeing the results," Oda finished. Within a moment, all the girls start to talk.

"I wonder how we can find the seeds?" Oriana asked, playing with her hair.

"I suppose they might be anywhere."

"Let's all try our best," Annabelle says.

"To be honest, I won't be trying very hard." Oriana laughed. "I'll simply be enjoying my time in such luxury!"

"I suppose I'll try," I admit warily.

"Don't feel shameful," Annabelle said to me, putting her hand on mine. "I will try too." I nodded. What did she mean by that?

"Look, the doors are opening!" Oriana pointed out, and I see people filing out, eager for rest. I stood up without a word, and push through the crowd. Chana seemed so, well—strange.

"Come!" I heard a hiss, and saw Aideen. Lady in waitings weren't allowed in the meeting, thus she was waiting for me. "Princess Oda is here for you. Tomorrow she will set out to finding the seeds with you, but first she wants to tell you something." Unwillingly, and quickly, I was pulled outside by the younger girl.

At night, everything is calmer, but guards are always on watch. I peered around the entrance of the castle nervously, wondering if anyone was there.

"It's the garden. The guards never come here," Aideen informed me, her small figure shivering.

"Are you cold?" I asked.

"It's autumn, after all. You had a cold recently, remember?" I laughed, remembering.