Chapter 7 (Edited) - You want to name the cat Catzilla?

Chapter 7 - You want to name the cat Catzilla?

Edited

"Ryder?" I gape at him not believing my eyes.

He turns his head to look at me and his eyes wide. "Holy shit! What are you doing here Allie?"

You know what? I take it back. I'll take a headless zombie any day to my pounding heart as he calls me Allie.

No one calls me Allie!

I shrug away the thoughts and grin at him sheepishly, "Taking a shelter from the rain?"

His eyes widen as he takes in my soaked appearance, "Yes, I can see that. But- Wait, let me rephrase that. I mean what the hell happened to you?"

I scowl thinking about today's events. "Long story. Just know that from today, I hate Nicholas Sparks for making such a damn good movie."

Looking at me puzzled, he moves closer to inspect me. He frowns as he takes in my form. "Shit. You're shivering for God's sake! Are you okay?"

I nod sightly, "I'm fine."

But it doesn't come out as convincing as I had intended it to because of my chattering teeth. A clear sign that I'm freezing my ass off. Ryder rolls his eyes at my blatant lie and shrugs off his jacket, "Sure you are."

Then before I can even comprehend what's happening he drapes his jacket around me.

I blush and thank my luck for the first time today because it's not enough light for him to see my face clearly.

It's then he notices the small thing cuddled around my chest. He jumps away and squeaks like a five year old girl, "Oh God! What the hell is that?"

The cat turns in my arms snuggling closer into the jacket and purrs.

I burst out laughing, "Did you just...?" I gasp for breath, "You just shrieked like a 5 year old girl! Jesus Ryder! Have you never seen a cat before?"

He relaxes slightly and moves closer to inspect it, "A cat?"

"Yeah, you know a cat?" I shake my head at him smiling slightly, "Didn't you ever write paragraphs on cats when you were in elementary school?"

Ryder glares at me, "I know what a cat is. Thank you very much!"

He moves closer to inspect her. His face breaks in amazement as he gently strokes her fur. He looks like a little kid who's opening his first present on Christmas morning.

I grin at him, "Do you want to hold her?"

He looks at me surprised, "Hold her? B-but I-"

I can tell he badly wants to but is hesitating out of nervousness. So I take the lead and gently pass her out to him, "Here."

She struggles slightly but obliges nonetheless.

He looks awestruck as he stares at the little creature in his arms. She realises that he's no real danger--not to her anyway but it's totally different for my racing heart--and snuggles closer into him.

"Is she yours?" He asks me gently patting her head.

"No," I shook my head moving even closer to stroke her back, "When I was running in the rain searching for a shelter, I saw her huddled in a cardboard box by the road. Poor thing was this close to death! How can anyone be so cruel to leave someone as cute as her out on the street?" I say patting at her soft white fur.

But this time Ryder isn't looking at her. He is looking at me with a strange look in his eyes that I couldn't quite decipher.

"What?" My voice comes out softer than I intended it to.