Chapter 9: That Mr.

Caden

As the priest went on, I tried hard to march Blayze's gaze and at the same time control the strange hiccup that had suddenly popped up.

You're mine now.

I recalled his words and the mere thought of it set my insides in turmoil. That was when it started. The hiccupping. Several minutes in and it's refusing to quench.

How many brides hiccup through their wedding service? Why is this even happening?

"Do you need water?" The priest was kind enough to ask as he leaned a bit closer.

Water. That's right. That'll help.

I opened my mouth to let him know my reply.

"She's fine. Go on with the sermon." Blayze's voice interrupted and as I shifted my eyes onto him,I glared hard and the priest nodded then withdrew.

He stared back, not a bit intimidated by the fact that my glare alone, if possible, could actually kill him.

I hiccupped and hiccupped.

Is anyone in the congregation not able to see that I'm not okay?

"... till death do you part?" The priest recited and waited for Blayze's reply.

Staring down at me, "I do."

My heart sank in and I clenched tighter onto the bouquet in my hands.

As the hiccup persisted whilst I stood there in my wedding dress, staring into the eyes of the man to be my husband in a few minutes, I couldn't help but feel sorry for myself. I worried if I'm able to do this at all.

Can I really stand by his side and flash a fake smile for the world? There has to be another way... this can't possibly be the end? No... I can't do this.

Immediately, I turned away, slightly raised my dress and began running as fast as I could, down the aisle, towards the door, ignoring the surprise looks and gasps everyone was throwing at my side at the moment. Slowly, a smile played across my face. If only I could see the look on Blayze's face at the moment. He couldn't get his way with the situation.

My smile broadened.

"Caden. Caden."

I snapped out of the trance I was in at the persistent call of my name and eventually blinked a few times to set my mind straight. Blayze's gaze met mine, cold and inhumane as always.

A light sigh eluded my lips. I couldn't run away in reality. What a sad life I'm living.

I looked the priest's side meekly.

"Yes."

"Do you take Blayze as your husband?" He repeated less than what he had already said.

Husband?

I shifted my eyes back to the man in front of me.As I stared harder into a pair of his, a daring sense entailed in them and in that moment, I wondered why I was being too worried about the future. I mean, I'm Caden Carter after all. I'm not easily scared off.

Blayze needs an obedient wife but I can't let him have his way, not anymore. He's going to get a wife alright but one far from being obedient. I narrowed my eyes at him.

I'm going to make you regret accepting the thought of taking me as your wife.

"Yes. Yes, I do." I replied boldly, loud and in confidence that there was a light cheer amongst the congregation.

Suddenly, I realised the hiccup was gone. When and why? I didn't have an answer to that but I felt good. Good in the sense that I could feel myself once again. I'd wavered for a moment but not anymore.

I watched him slid the ring onto my fourth finger. The small diamond stone shimmered and seemed right at place. In as much as I hated admitting it. It was pretty.

Holding the wedding band in my right hand, I took hold of his right hand in the left of mine. His hand was warm just like any normal human and yet, its owner didn't seem much of humane. It felt too strange holding onto his hand so quickly, I slid the ring onto the rightful finger.

"... now, I pronounce you, husband and wife." The priest declared and a light cheer and applause erupted. I put up a fake but yet simple smile. After all, a bride has got to be happy at her wedding.

"You may kiss the bride."

Kiss?

My eyes barely widened as I looked up to Blayze. He seemed hesitant as his eyes finally left mine for a moment.

Finally, there's something we agree on.

A light and silent sigh left my lips as I momentarily lowered my eyes away from him. Looking back up once more, I watched him taking steps closer.

What? Is... does he really want to kiss me?

He stopped once in front of him, staring down into my eyes and I couldn't look away either. I'm pretty sure the surprise expression displayed well across my face and the look in my eyes warning for him not to dare do what I think he's about to do.

Regardless, he leaned closer and closer, so much my heart started to race faster within my chest. An inch closer for our lips to touch, I slightly turned my head away, clearly rejecting his advance. That should be enough for him to retreat.

Instead, I felt his hand slid onto my back and before I realised what was happening, he pulled me even closer that I fell hard on his chest and no space was left in between us. The moment my eyes met his face, his lips locked with mine.

For the first few seconds, my eyes remained wide open in shock as his lips were on mine. My heart raced so fast I feared it might jump out of my chest or end up malfunctioning.

Push him away.

My subconscious ordered but... I couldn't. It would seem I was frozen.

His kiss deepened and I felt his hand on my back tighten a bit. As if surrendering, my eyes slowly shut.

Strangely, this felt nothing like I'd thought. Disgusting and unappealing had been my conclusion if ever this was to happen between the both of us but now... none of that seems to be the case. It was different. Too different and strangely felt nice.

Suddenly, he pulled away from the kiss and as I fluttered my eyes open, I met a pair of his staring down at me. For the first time, I saw something different in them.

Applause erupted and he looked away as if jogged to reality. His hand left my back as he stepped away. A strange feeling took over as I watched him try so hard not to meet my eyes anymore.

What? Does this actually mean... he felt something? Emotion? He's trying so hard not to show his emotion?

Drawing in a deep breath and unable to take my eyes off him, I was reminded of the fact that the book isn't always what the cover entails. Perhaps, there's a humane person deep down.