The official end

I hold Beatrice's hand as we sit down. She takes a sip of her hot chocolate, and I rub my shoulder. The new tattoos are healing nicely. A vfd logo, with Dad's birthday on it. Kit's birthday is on my shoulder next to it. Beatrice's birthday is along the bottom of Kit's, and the initials, V, K and S are on my ankle. I know I got them all at once, but they felt right. Dad would know I'm right.

The door to the cafe swings open, and a sad looking man walks in. He looks around briefly, and Beatrice asks, "Mr Snicket? I'm your niece. Beatrice Baudelaire the second. May I tell you a story about our family?"
"I would like that very much," Lemony walks over to us. He sits opposite me, and asks, "Miss?"
"Baudelaire," I smile, "Daphne May Baudelaire. It's really lovely to meet you."
Lemony looks at me, and asks, "Did you raise Beatrice?"
"I did," I whisper, "But I also think you should know something, sir."
Lemony shakes his head. He knows about Dad. He knows about Kit. He knows about everything he needs to know about. Beatrice says, "It's really good to meet you. Can I call you Uncle Lemony?"
"Call me whatever you want," Lemony smiles at her, his eyes lightning up for the first time since we walked in the cafe. He says, "It's really good to meet you both too. May I speak to Daphne first?"
Beatrice opens her book, reading it, and I smile, "She's not listening. What did you want to say, Sir?"
"Please call me Lemony," Lemony smiles, "I know how you feel about Olaf, and I need you to know that nobody is angry. I know that you've spent time with the Quagmires, and above all, I know you're a good person. You raised Beatrice because you wanted to. Because you thought that was noble. And you are a noble person. But I am glad that you've decided not to try remake VFD."
"Ishmael recruited children," Lemony sighs, "He wasn't a particularly good man. Am I alright to talk to Beatrice now?"
"Of course," I say, "Please, she's your niece. She's been so excited to meet you."

And she really has. But this is the end of the story I tell. I shall live for longer, but there will be nobody to tell anyone. I've got my family. Violet, Klaus, Sunny, Beatrice. The Quagmires, and Esme, and surprisingly Carmelita. She calmed down after the fire at the Hotel. Finally, it's my time to relax. To be happy. To be noble.