Making My Mother Sad

I manage to find my way to the lobby with a blindfold in my hands. There's no reason for me to be wearing it. As I take a seat, I put it on, groaning. I was hoping I'd get one of those that you can see through, but oh well. We're directed to sit down, and I hear Violet sigh, "This is awful."
"Violet," I hiss, "It's me."
We are all told to take our blindfolds off, and I hold Violet's hand, still staring up at Justice Strauss. She says, "All rise for the high court judges. Myself and my esteemed colleagues."
I turn to look up at them, but I can't see them. They're on one of the higher floors. We all sit back down, as Justice Strauss continues, "Bring in Count Olaf."
He practically dances to the sofa near the us, and smiles at me. I force a weak smile back, and Justice Strauss says, "Thanks to the efforts of many concerned parties and a banker, I have compiled a comprehensive file on the Baudelaire case. I submit to the court, the complete history of injustice, or Odious Lusting After Fortunes. Sadly, I must also submit this harpoon gun that was used to kill a manager late last night. Authorities wait outside to apprehend any guilty parties who try to escape."
"Speaking of parties," Olaf stands up, "There'll be an after party hosted by me after the trial. Everyone is welcome, but wealthy women are particularly welcome."
Mum stands up. She says, "I'm also having a party. A cocktail party, where fashionable men get a free gift."
"My party will have broadway caliber musical numbers," Olaf scoffs.
"My party will have an adorable little girl doing a tap routine."
"My party will have fireworks."
"My party will have sausages."

Justice Strauss snaps, "This is time to discuss social law, not social parties."
"You should reconsider," Olaf shrugs, sitting back down on the sofa, "I don't imagine you get invited to a lot of parties."
I watch Justice Strauss hesitate, before saying, "I call our first witness. That's you, Baudelaires."
Violet looks at me, not breaking eye contact. Justice Strauss says, "Please state your names. We know this of course, but it's standard procedure."
"Violet Baudelaire."
"Klaus Baudelaire."
"Sunny Baudelaire."
Justice Strauss asks, "Occupation?"
"Inventor."
"Researcher."
"Chef."
Olaf interrupts, "I object! Their proper occupation is orphan."
"That's not an occupation," I roll my eyes. Justice Strauss snaps, "Your objection is noted, though I caution the defendant about speaking out of turn. Baudelaires, you have travelled a great distance and suffered a great deal, but you're finally safe among friends and associates, class mates and co workers, faculty members and countless neighbours, reporters, theatregoers, fashionistas, doctors, nurses, carnival guests, mountain climbers, telegraph operators, and deep sea divers. They have been watching you all along the way, and are prepared to speak on your behalf, but the most important testimony is yours. Tell us your story. This time, we promise to listen."

What is it with people listing of things like it's their only hobby? Violet says, "It began when our parents told us to take a rickety trolley down to Bring Beach."
"It was a grey and cloudy day, so we had the beach to ourselves," Klaus adds. Violet continues, "We were testing an invention, when we saw a figure in the mist. It was Mr Poe from the bank. He told us... he told us our parents had perished in a terrible fire."
"He told us we had to live with Count Olaf," Klaus says.
"He slapped Klaus across the face," Violet snaps.
"He tried to marry Violet," Klaus sighs, "He poisoned Uncle Monty and fed Aunt Josephine to the leeches."
Violet says, "He conspired with Esme Squalor and Carmelita Spats. He kidnapped the Quagmire triplets from Prufrock prep."
When Violet falters, Klaus picks up. He says, "He murdered Jacques Snicket in the village of fowl devotees. He tried to cut of my head at the Heimlich Hospital. He... he threw..."
"He threw a noble woman to a pit of starving lions," Violet snaps, "He dragged Xalia round, not letting her have a safe home. Everywhere we went, we tried to tell people what he was capable of!"
"But they wouldn't listen."
"Nobody listened," Klaus and Violet say in unison. Violet continues, "We lost everything, expect each other. We survived because we believed one day we'd find a safe place. Where people would listen to us."
Klaus sighs, "We've suffered through so much, but the root of our suffering is one man. That man. Count Olaf."
"This world wont be quiet or safe until he is behind bars," Violet's eyes are full of tears, "And all decent people have their day in court. Thank you..."
There's a round of applause that erupts, and I join it, not standing up. Justice Strauss says, "Thank you, Baudelaires. You may sit down. I had planned to call other witnesses, but your testimony was so compelling, I hate to waste another second. I'm going to consult with my fellow judges, and if they agree, we can declare these unfortunate events over at last."
"That's a relief," Violet mutters, "That book on criminal law said that trials can last days, or even years."
"That's what I'm worried about," I say, my voice just about audible, "If Olaf is about to go to jail, why does he look so calm? He might be acting calm."
"We all know he isn't that good at acting," Klaus joins in the conversation, "Something is up."

"It seems my fellow judges are ready to deliberate," Justice Strauss smiles, "So without further ado, we will now retire to decide the verdict."
"Your honour wait!" Klaus gasps, "We'd like to call a witness."
Violet and Klaus call up Olaf, and I stare in horror as he saunters up. I groan as Violet whispers, "If everything goes right, Olaf will slip up. Do you want to be called up, Xalia May?"
"No, thanks," I mutter, staring at Olaf, "I really hope you know what you're doing, Violet, Klaus. If not, this could go horrifically. Please tell me you know what you're doing."
Klaus looks at me, and sighs, "We may know what we're doing, but this could fall apart."
And then it begins.