Very, Very Much Alive

"This doesn't make sense," Klaus complains later that night. I've walked down to the lobby in baby blue silk pyjamas, and I really couldn't care less if I look mad. Klaus continues, "This hotel is packed with people we know, but they can't all be in VFD."
"They've all been invited by JS," Violet says, "But they all think that JS is a different person."
I continue, "Nero thinks JS is someone Mum would know, like my dad Jerome Squalor. But Jerome Squalor seems to think JS is a woman who wants to help you guys."
"Mr Poe's secretary was called Jacqueline Scieszka," Klaus suggests. Violet says, "But Babs thinks JS is a sea captain. One of Olaf's disguises was Captain Julio Sham. But Olaf is also disguised as Jacques Snicket. So he doesn't know who the real JS is either."
I sigh, holding Sunny on my hip as Violet points out, "The real question is why is Esme throwing a cocktail party, and why does Carmelita Spats want a harpoon gun."
"Did Frank or Ernest give me the bird paper? And who told Sunny to lock the laundry room door," Klaus groans. I look up at the clock, as Sunny babbles, "Elephant."
"I don't know what you mean," Violet sighs.
"I do."

Klaus explains, "We've each heard parts of a larger plan, but if we put them together we might see the bigger picture. Larry your waiter said something about a package being delivered tonight, and crows. What if he meant carrier crows like the ones Isadora used in the village of fowl devotees."
"That would explain why Carmelita needs a harpoon gun," I admit, "She is going to shoot it down. And I bet that's why Frank or Ernest had you hang that bird paper. If a crow is shot at a certain angle, it'd hit the bird paper."
"Or maybe not," Klaus argues, "There was a laundry vent underneath it. What if the plan is to have the package fall in there? It's end up in the-"
"Laundry room," Violet gasps, "Sunny locked the door. If Frank gave her the lock, the package is safe. If Ernest, maybe not. What is the package though? What are both sides of the schism after?"
"The sugar bowl," I groan. A member of staff wheels a trolley through, as a woman's voice echoes. The Baudelaires all run to her, and I put Sunny down so she can. I hang back, smiling and watching from a distance. After a bit of talking, they all turn their attention to me. I say, "Hello, Ma'am. My name is Xalia May Squalor. I'm a friend of the Baudelaires."
Violet says, "She's Olaf's step daughter."
"Although," I sigh, "I'm beginning to suspect otherwise. Enough about me. I should probably go back to my room."
"No," Klaus says, "You don't need to if you don't want to. You're more than welcome to stay. Justice Strauss wont mind."
I look at clock, which crashes ten times. Then, I sigh, "No, I should really be going."
"I'll go," Justice Strauss smiles, "Goodbye children."

Violet turns to us, and asks, "Is anyone else bothered?"
Klaus and I both mutually agree as Violet continues, "Klaus, you said you were with Frank or Ernest at three o clock. You know that because you heard the clock strike three. Sunny was with the other brother at the same time."
"So?" I ask.
"So I was with one of them too," Violet sighs, "All three of us were with Frank or Ernest at three, and then one of them had to get from where they were to reception to be with you too."
"Two brothers can be in two places at once," Klaus sighs.
"But two brothers can't be in three places at once," I groan, "So there is a third brother."
Klaus groans, "I wish there was a room in this hotel for mysteries. I've already checked for one three five, but that number room just doesn't exist."
"Maybe it's not a room," Violet's eyes grow wide. I don't know what she means, but I follow her into the elevator anyway.

She says, "We stayed in a hotel room once, and pressed all the buttons, remember? Well, father said you never know where you'll end up."
I press the third button, while Klaus and Violet click one and five. The lift jolts to a start, going down further than the basement. I look round the room, and point out, "Someone is repairing a book. The tea is still hot and smouldering, smoking. Do you know what this means?"
A man's voice makes us jump, and a man walks out from behind a door. One of the brothers. He stares at us, and says, "You aren't Kit."
"You aren't Frank," Violet whispers.
"Or Ernest," Klaus mumbles. I gasp, "Because the Denouement brothers aren't twins. They're triplets."
"My name is Dewey Denouement. I'm pleased to meet you," Dewey smiles, "My existence is secret, which suits me fine because my work is secret too. You see, the hotel Denouement is not just organized as a library. It is a library."
He opens the door, which leads us to a secret tunnel. We all go through it with him, and walk as he explains, "We collect reports from every VFD agent, scholar, researcher, inventor, scientist, explorer, cartographer, poet, journalist, naturalise, herpetologist, optometrist, receptionist, chef, waiter, taxi driver, sea captain, film director, ballerina, children's book author, and mountaineer. Our volunteers are everywhere, observing the world and writing it all down in books. These books pass through a number of safe houses, until they arrive here. The last safe place. Ever since the schism, it's been more than important to keep our supplies security. It's been vital. So, while Frank and Ernest run the hotel, I do my work in the shadows. Mind your head here."
We all step through a tiny door thing, and once outside, I realise we're outside the hotel again. Dewey says, "Here we are."
"Where is the library?" Klaus asks. Dewey points to the fountain, and says, "You have to look beyond the surface. It's a sub-library."
"Submerged..." I mutter, trying to wrap my head around this. Dewey says, "Our enemies could burn the hotel to the ground, and our work would remain safe. It's a secret library."
"Then why are you telling us?" Violet asks.
"After Thursday, Kit and I are leaving VFD to raise our child," Dewey says, "We need to pass on the last safe place's library. I've read all about you four children. Violet, you've invented amazing things under incredible pressure. Xalia May, you can lie without batting an eyelid, even when the risks are mighty. Klaus, you're reading is beyond your years. Your researching skills are amazing. And Sunny, I've heard wonderous things about your cooking. You'll need a new home after Thursday, why not here?"
"Justice Strauss offered you all a home," I whisper.
"You aren't children anymore," Dewey says. Klaus says, "Before we answer, there's one secret we'd like to know. What's in the sugar bowl?"

"AN INTERESTING QUESTION!"