Chapter Eighteen

“I'm not psychic but I'm pretty sure the grin on your face is not for me,” Chris teased.

Alex ignored him. The image of Camila's smile flashed through his mind again and his smile widened. They had spent the night before they slept exchanging stories and laughing in each other's embrace. Although he had not met her when he woke up, he felt like he was soaring on fluffy clouds.

“How does it feel like?” Chris asked solemnly after a few moments of silence.

“What?” 

“Being with her. How does it feel like?” Chris asked again.

Alex came down from cloud nine enough to answer his friend. “Like home. Regardless of how much I can't match up to her and how much she berates me, she's the one I want to wake up to every day. No female before her matters anymore and no one ever will. Honestly, you'll begin to wonder why you thought other girls were pretty. They might be pretty but my Mila's breathtaking, inside and out.”

Alex shook his head to snap himself out of his trance-like state. He saw Chris staring at him weirdly.

“Camila's not the type of girl you would personally go for,” Chris said.

Alex laughed. “I thought I knew my type. You know, girls who worship the ground I walk on, are willing to impress, don't really care about much else." He paused to think about a few of the other girls he'd had flings with. Eva flashed in his mind. That was a reason he had never acquiesced to her requests: She wasn't as shallow as she made herself seem. "Then I met Mila. She ran away when she saw me at first. When I went to her house, she all but told me to get out. She never hesitates to chew me out. She's focused and does whatever she wishes to do with impressive precision. She reeks with power…”

Alex stopped to think about last night when she threatened to lock him in a tower. The ends of his lips twitched upwards.

Chris groaned. “Dude, you're whipped.”

Alex nodded. “For Mila, I can shout it from the palace’s rooftop.”

“Let's go see her before you burst,” he said before walking out of the prince's room.

They got to the queen's tea room which had become their unofficial meeting place. They met Camila and Freda in a standing split. Alex glanced between their almost identical outfits.

“It's the official uniform of the knowledge keepers,” Camila answered without looking up from her clipboard.

They were in deep blue high necked jackets and trousers. Their shoes and buttons were red. The defense warriors wore the same style of clothing; it just had more white.

“Why doesn't it have white?” Alex asked.

Camila and Freda replied as one. “There is hardly any purity in knowledge.”

It had sounded so grim and serious that his parents had stopped their banter behind him. Just as he was about to say something to break the ice, Adelaide flew into the room in a panic. 

The queen stood up. “Adelaide, you're not supposed to be out of b-”

“My mate. He's been in the palace recently.”

All eyes flew to her in shock.

“The Alpha ball was last night. He could be eons away by now,” Chris said.

Adelaide let out a cry. Camila threw a dangerous glance at Chris.

“Christopher, Adelaide was neàrly kidnapped two days ago. What do you think would happen to her mate if he so happens to be discovered?” Freda sassily replied.