Chapter Ten

"The Alpha ball was started immediately after the great war for what purpose, Your Highness?" Camila asked Prince Alexander.

He had been staring at her for a while now. Not that she minded greatly, she just wished he'd focus.

Since James left on his diplomacy trip with his dad on Tuesday, the prince had been holding and kissing her at any chance. Now that she had finally warded him away, he resorted to staring.

"Your Highness," she said to get his attention.

When his beautiful green eyes finally focused on her brown ones, he gave her one of those smiles.

Her heart skipped a beat. She ignored it, already used to the sensation.

"Yes, Mila?" he said.

"I'd rather you focus on what I'm saying," she said.

"But you're more interesting," he whined.

He glanced at the textbook she held, and the brightness of his eyes dimmed.

"Do you want to be king, your Highness?" she asked after a few seconds of silence.

He looked stunned for a few seconds before smiling ruefully,

"You know you're the first person to ask me that."

"Do you?"

"Definitely not. After Lucille rejected the throne, Mum was heartbroken. William became scared that I'd do the same and came to beg me not to reject it too. He just couldn't be king, he said," he stared into space as if re-living the memory.

"I had to do the mature thing and be his big brother," he sighed and put on a smile again.

Immediately, she realized something. He did not always smile and joke around because he was happy.

Quite the opposite actually.

"You?" he asked suddenly, "Is this what you wanted?"

Camila thought. Did she have any idea what she wanted?

"This is who I am. It is all I have ever known," she said slowly.

His smile grew.

"I guess we're both victims of unfortunate situations," he leaned closer to her.

"I guess we are," she said, letting him close the gap.

Suddenly, the door flew open.

"Camila honey, can you go over...Holy momma of Merlin," the intruder said.

They had separated, but it was too late; Freda had already seen. Freda turned around immediately.

"I didn't see anything. I'll just come back," she said, hurrying out.

"Freda, come back," Camila said.

"I promise I won't tell anyone," Freda panicked, about to shut the door.

Camila walked to her side, "Freda, I am glad you saw. Sit down."

"No, Camila. The prince will throw me in prison and cut out my tongue. When the king finds out, I'll be exiled for treason," Freda shook her head vehemently.

"Freda, the king knows," the prince said.

"Seriously? About your..." she pointed between them, "What even are you?"

"Mates," Camila and the prince chorused.

"You're joking. Wait, you're not. You don't joke. Oh gosh, you'll be queen soon. You'll leave me to die alone. I'll have to be a cat lady," Freda began to lament and cry.

"Is she always like this?" the prince asked.

"27 percent of the time," Camila answered without missing a beat.

Freda quieted immediately, wiping her tears, "It's terrifying how you know that."

"It creeps me out all the time," the prince wrapped his hands around Camila, "But it's all part of her charm."

He kissed the side of her head.

"Not now, Your Highness," Camila detached herself from him and moved away.

"Your Highness? She doesn't even call you your name?" Freda's eyes widened.

"I don't even bother telling her to stop. She just keeps doing it anyway," the prince shrugged.

"It's part of her horrid formality. I resist the urge to stick her with a pin sometimes just to see if she'd scream," Freda said.

"You stuck me with a pin three years ago," Camila stated.

The young knowledge keeper remembered the incident clearly.
She did not scream or make any sound for that matter.

"Exactly and nothing happened," Freda threw up her hands, exasperated.

"If  it makes you feel any better, I feel pain now," Camila stated.

"And if I'm thinking right, all kinds of emotions," Freda said.

"No wonder you allowed me to dress you up that night you had dinner with the royal family," Freda twirled around in happiness, "Girl, I am so happy for you. Maybe, a little more upset with myself for not seeing it sooner."

"We do try to hide it," the prince said, reaching for his mate who hurried out of his grasp again.

"Camila? Sure. You? Definitely not," Freda's laughter ceased abruptly, "Do you guys even study here?"

"Freda, I keep my feelings outside work," Camila said from the top of the shelf where she was standing.

As soon as the prince climbed, she jumped to the next one.

"And yet, I caught you swapping spit two seconds ago."

Camila's face grew hot.

"It was unavoidable," Camila murmured with her head lowered to prevent Freda from seeing her face in the few seconds she needed to direct the blood out of her face.

"My baby girl is blushing," Freda cried before slumping on the ground in tears again,"Don't leave me, Camila. You're growing up too fast."

"I will not be queen any time soon, Freda," Camila said, ducking under the prince's arm.

She glanced at Freda and in that split second of distraction, he caught her by her waist and whirled her around.

"Not if I have anything to say about it," he growled, his eyes a deeper shade of green than usual.

Camila had identified the feeling that was stirring inside her whenever he acted like this.

Her wolf was rising to meet her mate.

She could never consciously phase into her wolf. She had tried severally; it did not work.

Her hand reached up out of its own volition to stroke his hair gently. When he leaned further into her hand, she felt her chest grow warmer with a fluttering in her stomach.

Butterflies?

Although she was certain of the absence of any insects in her body, she understood why Freda and most of Sueret's female populace called it that.

As the prince looking every bit regal with his closed eyes lowered his head to her shoulder, a sniffle broke the moment.

"Oh, carry on. Ignore us single ones," Freda said, dabbing her eyes with a tissue.

There was silence in the room for a few moments before the prince mumbled, "Well, you already ruined the moment."

://:
I am so sorry for the break. There's been a lot happening lately and this story has gaps in my head that I'm trying to fill.
This is a short chapter,I know😶

Hope you liked it.
Also, your thoughts??