Chapter eight

The silence was getting uncomfortable.

Since she made the declaration, the monarchs have been staring at her with indecipherable expressions.

She looked at the prince who quickly recovered from his shocked state, walked to her with a million-dollar smile, and hugged her to himself.

"You told them," he kissed the top of her head, "Thank you."

Her face began to feel hot. She looked down and twiddled her thumbs.

"You said your mother was excited. I just wanted to-" she muttered, not even bothering to complete her statement.

He raised her chin with his index finger and stared at her for a while.

"Are you blushing?"

Her face grew hotter and she quickly detached herself from him, taking a few steps back.

"Of course not. That would be embarrassing."

"You are blushing."

"No, I am not"

"Yes, you are. Don't worry, it's cute," he quickly pulled her back in his arms.

As she stared into his eyes, she felt herself drifting away and leaning closer to him until...

"You really are mates," the king said and they flew apart immediately, her face growing hot again.

Like his words snapped the queen out of her daze, she ran to Camila and hugged her fiercely.

Camila gasped.

A mother's hug. Is this what it feels like?

"I have another daughter," the queen cried as she pulled back gently stroking Camila's face.

Suddenly, she winced and looked back at her mate.

"Luc, we were about to make Alex marry her sister," the queen said, looking at Camila apologetically.

"Yeah, sorry about that, Camila," he said descending from his throne, scratching the back of his head.

"You poor thing, it must have been devastating seeing someone flirt with your mate and not doing anything about it. Wait, why didn't you do anything about it?" the queen cocked her head.

Camila glanced sideways at the prince and then looked down.

How would she explain to the queen that she did not want their mating to happen?

The prince moved to hold her again but the queen swiftly moved her out of his way and announced loudly before pulling her into a room well hidden behind her throne,

"Girl talk!"

When the door shut, the queen opened her arms and Camila walked straight into them.

"I'm not mad. You just have to tell me why you don't want to be with my son," the queen said when they separated.

Camila shook her head furiously.

She did want to be with him; she just could not.

"So you want to mate him," the queen said, less of a question and more of a statement.

Camila didn't reply. Her face began to grow hot again.

The queen broke out in a cheeky smile. Camila had seen a similar one on all her children.

"Looks like someone is in deep already," the queen teased.

Camila covered her face and began to mumble in denial. The queen let out a soft laugh before slowly removing Camila's fingers from her face.