Part 75 Stepmother, does she not want me anymore?

Her face was calm in her sleep, the only sign of her intoxication being her slightly flushed cheeks. The soft moonlight seeped through the curtains, casting a gentle glow on her face, making her look even more peaceful.

Zhou Yueshen reached out to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear, feeling the warmth emanating from her skin. He sat there for a moment, simply watching her sleep. The usually stern and guarded look on his face softened as he gazed at her.

With a deep sigh, he leaned back against the headboard, still keeping her close to him. The room was silent except for the gentle rustling of the curtains and the rhythmic breathing of the two. It was a moment of rare tranquility for both of them, a moment that Zhou Yueshen knew might not come often in the chaos of their lives.

He finally realized that despite everything, his feelings for Sinian had changed. They were no longer just colleagues or acquaintances; there was a deeper bond forming between them, one that Zhou Yueshen found both comforting and unsettling.

He gently caressed her face, brushing away a stray lock of hair from her forehead, and whispered softly to her, even though he knew she wouldn't hear him, "Rest well, Sinian."

Her hair was a mess, yet it flowed smoothly over her shoulders like a waterfall.

With her slightly tilted posture, her collar loosened even more, hinting at a glimpse of skin. Her lips were tinted red from being kissed.

Zhou Yueshen immediately pulled the blanket over her.

But Song Nian felt hot, struggling to stretch her hand out, resting it between his thighs. Her fair arm was strikingly bright.

Zhou Yueshen didn't dare to look too long, hastily averting his gaze, placing his hand on the nearby table. His demeanor wasn't as composed as usual.

After some time, everyone, now drunk and ready to leave, finally someone knocked on the door.

The knock was cautious.

Zhou Yueshen was afraid of waking the two up. He glanced at the peacefully sleeping pair, his eyes shimmering with an unfamiliar tenderness. Quickly, he moved Song Nian back to bed, stood up, and left the room.

Song Nian woke up when it was nearly dark.

She had slept quite comfortably but woke up almost sober. She felt her lips sore and swollen, wondering what had happened.

Zhou Yueshen pushed the door open and saw her sitting on the bed, her hand on her swollen lips, seemingly lost in thought.

He paused, walked closer, and looked down at her, "Still uncomfortable?"

Song Nian met his eyes. He was as calm and cool as usual.

It didn't feel like the passionate man from her dream at all.

It must have been a dream; this man couldn't possibly have kissed her so passionately, right?

She shook her head, "Just a bit dizzy, but otherwise okay."

"You can't hold your liquor, let me know next time," Zhou Yueshen reminded her with a stern look.

Song Nian felt embarrassed.

It seemed she didn't bring her alcohol tolerance with her when she crossed over.

Her face turned red with shame. She had acted so confident earlier, thinking she could handle her liquor. But after just a few drinks, she felt off balance and her face started to heat up.

She had wanted to ask Zhou Yueshen for help, but he had stood up and left.

Without thinking, she hurriedly followed him.