Chapter 106 - Doubt, Denial, Turning away

The Queen, who always had only one daughter, gave birth to twins. How big is the embarrassment that the Queen must have felt? Fabian’s mother and former queen Melanie Ardenia panicked.

She first asked the maid and the doctor to tell the nobles that wanted to bring a congratulatory gift to the newly born princess to postpone it because she was ill. Then, she immediately summoned the High Priest to discuss the matter.

Priest Asily, who was astonished and bewildered just like the Queen, carefully assessed the powers of the two princesses and sighed.

“The powers of both are weak, as if the powers were divided. But Princess Fabian has more power than Princess Heila.”

Melanie was rather relieved by those words. If the two daughters have the same level of power, it is difficult to decide who will be the next queen, but if there is more power in one, she is naturally the successor.

“Keep Heila in a private palace and raise her with the nanny. Officially, my only daughter is Fabian.”

She had no choice but to do that. Otherwise, Fabian’s queenship would have been much weaker than it is now. There may have been people trying to satisfy their greed by pushing Heila as the successor, and the bigger problem was that the two Duchies might fight each other in support of different princesses.

However, Heila’s existence was not known to the public, so Fabian was able to win the loyalty of the two Duchies with her weak powers. Once the two Duchies were loyal to the Queen, the rest of the allegiance followed naturally, and she was satisfied with the situation until Fabian succeeded her and ascended to the throne.

Fabian, aware of her twin sister’s existence, was always concerned about Heila, but Melanie deliberately prevented Fabian from meeting Heila. It was because rumors shouldn’t be spread. Thanks to this, Fabian always had no choice but to sneak a peek at Heila. They were twins, but she was much prettier and more slender than Fabian.

The uneasy peace was broken on the day Fabian came to see Liddell, the newborn daughter of Duke Santella. It was customary for the Queen to bestow a blessing upon the birth of the two Duchies’ family, and while Fabian bestowed her blessing, she realized that Liddell had not responded to her powers at all. It was an instinctive realization.

Upon hearing this, Melanie felt intense anxiety. Apart from other things, they had to obtain as much obedience from the two Duchies.

“We must kill Heila. Then the child’s power will return to Her Majesty.”

When the stubborn mother insisted without a single sight of her shaking, Fabian couldn’t say anything. It wasn’t because her mother would back down if she was against it, but it was because she was also anxious. Moreover, Melanie’s opinion was not alone. It was also something that the High Priest had secretly insisted on since they were born as twins.

Even so, Melanie had refused to kill Heila until then because she was the child she gave birth to, but in this situation where the throne itself was shaken, a decision was needed.

“Your Majesty, don’t worry about anything and just focus on running the government as usual. This mother will take care of the rest. The confusion comes from me, so it’s the right thing to do.”

In front of her mother, who was firmly determined, Fabian said nothing and backed away. But she couldn’t help it. Still, she had always felt indebted to Heila, and now her conscience was pierced by the thought that Heila had to die for the sake of Fabian’s power, and she couldn’t bear it.

That’s why she secretly leaked this plot to Raphael, Heila’s loyal escort.

If Raphael didn’t do anything after hearing the story, and if Heila died, it was considered Heila’s fate. There was only so much that a mean and cowardly person could do.