Chapter 2 - The Illegitimate Maid

“Why did such a rich man come here?”

Sid muttered puzzled as she gave the remaining pruned apple to the purring horse by her side.

“Well? What if to heal himself?”

“Why do you have to go to Kerouac to heal yourself?”

“Because it’s close to Ardennes.”

“Is it? Anyway, I hope that man stays for a long time.”

“Yes. The market atmosphere is lively. There seems to be very little leftovers in the market because the house buys this and that.”

“Wow, that looks like a lot of money. Maybe he’s richer than the Baron?”

The two separated after trying to figure out who was richer, Baron Fidelia, or the nobleman who had come down from the capital. The remaining apple was handed to Sid to give when Uncle Theo arrives.

After washing her hands and rinsing her mouth so that she didn’t smell of apples, Lena dangling her braided hair, drew water from the well and poured it into a large pail. Before the maid chief, Mrs. Marvin came out after breakfast, she had to wash all the bed sheets so she had to move diligently. Thanks to that, even though she ate an apple, her stomach, which she thought was full, quickly went out. It was around the time she gasped and barely managed to lay the last sheet on the clothesline.

“Lena! Lena!”

“Yes, madam!”

Lena was startled by the sound of Mrs. Marvin looking for her, eager to eat her at any moment, and she answered in a loud voice.

“I’ve been looking for you for a while! Where the hell are you doing?!”

“Yeah? Madam told me to wash the sheets this morning…….”

“Who are you to talk back to me!”

“Sorry.”

“There is nothing cute about this little girl. Go to the master immediately! He’s looking for you.”

Lena pretended not to hear the gossip that followed behind her back, that she often walked into Baron Fidelia’s office.

‘You hate me even if I do what you asked me to do. What am I supposed to do …….’

Lena pouted her lips and climbed the stairs. But if there was one more gritty than Mrs. Marvin, it would be the Baroness. Although she didn’t harass Lena herself, she was the number one cause of Lena being bullied in the Barony. Why would the other maids be kind to the maid, whom the Baroness hates openly? She was often beaten in the back of the head, forearm, or back, and all of the troublesome tasks were put off to Lena.

Still, Lena didn’t budge. No matter how much they cursed at her , even if she was occasionally starved of her meals or got slapped by the hands, this was enough for her to endure. If it’s just curse words, it’s enough to just let it go, and even though she’s been hit a few times, or actually quite a few times, she’s never been so hurt that she couldn’t get up the next day,

She thought getting starved was a bit disrespectful, but she still hid jerky and dried fruit in her room, so she’s never really been hungry.

In any case, Lena tilted her head and knocked on the door of the office of the Baron she had little contact with before he was looking for her.

“Master. This is Lena.”

As Lena announced her name, a call came from within the office telling her to come in immediately.